Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1989 supra conbrio neutral

I read the manual and it states i pull out a piece to put the transmission in neutral... I have tried to pull the lever towards me, the silver wheel directly in front if it and i found a spring loaded part that sits directly under the shift knob ball. I have a good feeling that pushing that little spring loaded item should put it in nuetral.

I actuate the lever downward and it moves a black piece, slightly. But i dont think its moving enough to actuate the nuetral setting. Am i on the right track?

pull the small metal wheel directly out, wiggle the throttle back and forth while doing so. The piece below the shifter knob is supposed to be a lock that you have to pull to go forward or back. (to prevent bumping by accident) But they wear out quickly. I dont have to do it for my CC or Supra.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

How much does the knob move? I cant even get it to move half a millimeter. even when using a tool. I see prior bite marks on it as if the previous owner tried and failed too.
    Last edited by Thomasv; 07-24-2013 at 07:22 PM.

neutral is when the throttle lever is straight up, neither in forward or reverse. to disengage the transmission, pull the circular 'button' below the lever away from the wall.

that button will only pull out when the mechanism behind the wall aligns correctly. in other words, it can't be disengaged while still in gear. if your cables aren't adjusted properly the button might not pull out since the lever could be straight up but the mechanism behind the wall isn't aligned quite right. that's where pulling the button while working the lever forward and back a bit might find the right alignment.

this could be a sign that the brass ends the throttle and transmission cables are attached to are wearing out. check this thread for pics: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...morse+throttle

pulling the morse throttle unit off the wall is a bit of a challenge. let us know if you need to do that.

btw, of course you don't want to be doing any of this with the engine on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374709246.385853.jpg
    Buhahaha. Perhaps this photo might detail part of the problem.

I will read that post in a sec but i did want to show you this "temp fix" here. It wasnt done by me.

Yes, i definitely am trying this with the engine off.

when in doubt, zip tie? lol, better than duct tape...maybe

Ok. So.. Im on skidim.com acquiring even more stuff.. In reference to the zip tie above...

Do i need both or just one of these bracket hw kits?
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK090056

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK090057

the second link is the one for the transmission cable that you def need. be sure to check your throttle cable near the carb to see if it's been mcguyvered too.

since you're placing an order, ask them about the cable ends that i posted in the link above. there's a good chance yours are worn. they are brass and wear out if things aren't adjusted properly or just over time.

Thanks Salty! Ordering the necessities on Monday. (: will keep you updated.

Well i installed the bracket that was temp fixed with a ziptie. Other then it being secure, i dont see how this has helped my neutral issue. The bracket holds the cable w no prob but i still cant pull that knob out to get in neutral. Is it time to pull off the lever box?