Threaded View

Default Still can't go wireless! 2008 Supra Launch 22SSV w/1100Lbs ballast upgrade

Hello all,

Like the other person that has a 22SSV I am really struggling wake surfing without the rope. Here is my setup:

Fly High Fatsac 1100Lbs ballast upgrade installed this weekend in the left side storage locker to replace the 750lbs (I think?) stock ballast.

Initially had a Ronix Thrasher Marshmellow 5'2" board but just bought a Ronix Koal fish 5' 6" board as the shop said I may just need a stiffer epoxy board.

I first filled just the new 1100lbs ballast full (which scared the crap out of us as the boat lists so badly and is really unstable with any side chop. My wife and kids were not amused.

Anyway - ran at 10MPH, 11 and then to 9.6. I was able to get some slack in the rope and ride but was literally on top of the swim platform. I was able to let go and ride for a few seconds but then lost the wave. I am leaning way forward on the board and putting my weight on the balls of my feet. I am also a snowboarder and surfer (pro surfer as a kid) so it should not be this hard for me.

Next we filled the front ballast (not sure what the stock weight is) almost all the way up and the left side locker full to 1100lbs. My wife is about 95lbs and both my kids are about 100lbs total so not much passenger weight on the boat. I was hoping that would be the ticket as I really don't want to add even more ballast as it makes my wife (the driver when I ride) very very nervous and the boat handles like a pig and is very unstable.

We have the wake plate set all the way up and didn't really mess with it.

Here is a photo. You will note that the rope is slack however it does not stay this way for very long.

Any suggestions on the boat setup? Maybe mess with the wakeplate? We tried faster, slower center ballast full, center ballast empty center ballast 1/2 full. No luck. Maybe I need a thicker board with more float? These boards just seem awful thin for such a small wake/wave but I see people on Youtube and on our lake just ripping the wake like it is nothing so I'm baffled. I really don't want to get a new Malibu or similar with the wake gate just to wake surf behind a boat. I know I will really enjoy it as I've been surfing my whole life and I am getting too old to really wakeboard other than just cruising. Flips and tricks like I used to do 10 years ago just don't appeal to me anymore.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Copper; 09-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.