Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CL find - maine

Default CL find - maine

This looks like a fabulous deal for someone looking for an open bow .... Just stumbled on this today:

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4057379130.html

$2,500! It says it's been stored for 6 years, so probably needs some work, but $2,500!

Wish this popped up when I was up at the lake house in Maine back in July, would have snatched it up if it's not totally rotted out.

Would this trailer work for a 87 Saltare? Looks like the boat is 1 to 1.5 feet shorter but slightly taller than the Saltare. Would the bunks line up OK with a slight modification to the bow.

Anyone know if this might work without major mods to the trailer or would it not sit right and be tongue heavy/light?

Appreciate any input.

Default CL find - maine

You might need to move the bow stop. It should work with a little work.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Still too much money. Maybe $1500 tops.
    You think so? I never see any inboards that cheap, typically they look a lot worse and asking a grand or two more. If stringers are still good and engine isn't trashed I think it's worth at least what he's asking. Good chance of that if it has been kept dry the past 6 years and being in Maine with a very short season it has likely seen a lot less water and fewer hours than a southern boat. Overall the boat looks pretty clean and presentable in the pictures. Assuming the wood is good I don't see any glaring major expenses involved in this thing.

i think its too much as well, stringers are probably rotten, dont matter if it sat up for 6 years out of the weather if the stringer were already soaked..

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Yes, I do think it is way too much money for a boat that has not ran for 6 years. Would you like to place a bet on the stringers being rotten? Floor?
    I definitely don't like the fact that he doesn't have carpet on the trailer bunks. It looks like none on the sides and just rubber underneath.
    These boat is a great restoration candidate but I wouldn't start where the guy is asking.
    I'll say it again, still too much money.

You're welcome to prove me wrong and buy it for more.
    You may think it's too much money but I'm talking about market prices, what people are asking for and what the boats actually sell for. A quick CL search of the country shows next cheapest SunSport is $3k, the vast majority for sale are in the $7500-$10k range. Don't see any that mention stringer replacement so by your logic one can assume they all have rotten stringers and none are worth more than a grand or few. It's pretty much a given that any 80s Supra with original stringers will need them at some point. We all know this, but it doesn't mean every Supra with wood stringers are completely mush and immediately need a stringer job or full restoration.

Not being run for 6 years is trivial IMO. You're talking tune up, carb rebuild, fluid changes. All cheap and easy. I wouldn't bet on stringers or floor being rotten or not, without seeing the boat in person I couldn't tell you. There could be glaring major issues with any number of things, just like any other used boat or even car. It's a boat with original stringers which could be rotten or could have years of life left in them, just like all others for 2x - 4x the price. If you think it's overpriced, great, you're the part of the market that brings prices down for all of us. Apparently there are enough people out there willing to pay in the $7500-$10k range for 25 year old inboards with original stringers though as that's the most common price range. Based on market prices, this one is cheap and looks all there and presentable so to me it would be worth a look. If stringers are mush, I wouldn't even make an offer as I can't do a stringer job right now so it wouldn't be worth $0 to me. Can't tell without looking.

Interesting, price went up yesterday to $2600. I see a number of signs of neglect from the pics.... It might have been stored under "a cover", not necessarily In a garage or enclosed area.
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

I see he added "I HAVE installed battery and motor turns over perfect". Maybe he is including a new battery or feels a working starter adds $100 value?

I just bought a 89 bravura for 2 grand with trailer 480hrs needs floor. was wondering a good way to check the stringers any suggestions.