Thread: Bad milfoil!!!!

Default Bad milfoil!!!!

So, I just thought i'd share my dumb boat experiance of the week. I moore my boat, use it almost daily and havent looked under it in over a month. I've noticed a little sluggishness lately, (but zero vibration) so i haven't been running it very hard or often, then yesterday as i was pulling out of the shallow bay where i live (5-6ft deep), i started to throttle up, and the boat started shaking like an epileptic with out thier meds. i putted out to the middle of the lake, took a deep breath and went to town. I was SHOCKED at how much milfoil was wrapped aroung the prop shaft. I must have ripped 5 lbs of it off my prop and shaft. It took me about 20 mins to rip it off, i actually debated cutting it off, but i didnt have a cheap knife in the boat that i was willing to lose if i slipped. It instantly turned back into the boat the i remember and love.... picked up 5mph in the upper end and she jumps out of the water just like it should. So to everyone that doesnt take their boat out of the water everytime they use it, learn a lesson from my dumb*ss, remember to check your prop and shaft periodically for the dreded milf oil

p.s. i've been living on the lake for over 3 years, and never had an issue like this. For some reason Encon negelcted to spray for milfoil this year, so there is a TON of plant life growing in my bay....
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    p.s. i've been living on the lake for over 3 years, and never had an issue like this. For some reason Encon negelcted to spray for milfoil this year, so there is a TON of plant life growing in my bay....
    Glad you figured it out and it was an easy fix. Funny that they stopped spraying up there, because they they stopped here last year as well.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

isn't that just sea weed? keuka lake has it, but really only in 8 ft deep or more, and only a few areas have it bad, but, it with zebra muscles make the lake so clean...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Yeah milfoil sucks. It can also clog up intakes for the engine as well, so if you suddenly start running hot on a lake with milfoil, get under there and check your water intake strainer.

Also, get a knife, a good one, and put a string/rope on it. Something with a tie-able handle. That is one of those must have tools. If you get a rope, or severe milfoil you'll wish you had it. All my big tools that can be used in the water have a tie off point so that I can tie them to the boat and let them dangle if I have to, or if I'm a dumbass and drop one it's okay.
    A knife should be in everyone's boat.

Duly notes, I am searching for an old knife that has a hole in the handle right now! Great idea with tying off tools to the boat itself! I will remember that -hope I never need to though!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

I don't know why i never thought of tools on a string, great idea. Now i dont have to worry about loosing my $100 cutco hunting knife that i never use. Most of the tools in my boat tool box are seconds and old/cheap stuff so it it takes a dunk, im not out my nice snap on/mac stuff.
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

we have that down here too. no idea if it would work on a big blob like you had but a blast in reverse clears smaller amounts. just don't clear it and then power forward picking it right back up.

Salty, I've made a quick reverse blast a habbit everytime i enter or leave my bay, its seems to work well so far. Your right, i dont think it would work on a big wad like i had, bit if i do it daily it keeps it from building up. Water temp in upstate NY is getting chilly, so unless theres a board under my feet, i dont want to get in the water if i dont have to.
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Default Milf-oil??

No Joke I thought this was going to be a pic of a hot mama puting on sun tan oil LOLOLOL