Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To un-plug or not to un-plug, that is the question...

So, here's an easy one. Tell me about your "plug" habbits.

At the beginning of the season, I would religiously take the center bilge plug out after a day on the water, and I would put it back in before dropping the boat down the ramp. Not surprisingly I had two times when I forgot to throw it back in and realized this just after dropping the trailer into the water.

For the second half of the season I've just left the center plug in. The bilge pump is Automatic and I leave my batteries on float chargers when I'm not using the boat...

I've only ever removed the rear plug once, when I was trying to clean out the bilge some, and I found it not only ineffective for draining anything out of a level boat, but I also had my friend lose it on that one time I had it out.

So, for those of you that trailer your boat each time you use it, what do you do with your plug(s) and why??
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I only have the rear plug, but pull it
    Out every time I leave the dock. Just leave it and a small wrench in my door panel so I don't forget about it.

I knew a guy who left his in when his boat was in a storage lot before a big storm. Even though it was covered, it filled up and submerged the engine because of the angle it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
    I only have the rear plug, but pull it
    Out every time I leave the dock. Just leave it and a small wrench in my door panel so I don't forget about it.

I knew a guy who left his in when his boat was in a storage lot before a big storm. Even though it was covered, it filled up and submerged the engine because of the angle it was on.
    I could see that. When I first got my boat, I left the plug in and after a big rain, I had a few inches of water in the bilge. (water getting through my cover). But that's because I was turning the Perko switch to OFF and killing power to the auto bilge pump.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Put it In in the spring time so you don't forget to put it in every time, and pull it and put it in a ziplock bag with the keys zip tied to the steering wheel. This way you don't loose the keys or the plug over the winter, it reminds you to put the plug back in in the spring. This is what we do at the shop. It also a sign to let us know the owners used there boat before we de winterized the boat.

On the trailer or on the lift, center plug comes out when it is not in the water. We have established a routine where before every outing, lift the dog house and among other things to check, grab the center plug from the top of the manifold and install it. Pull it at the end of the day when in the lift or when going back on the trailer and toss it back on the manifold. Never moves and is always part of the pre launching check. I hate water in the bilge, especially with a wood stringer boat.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

You should be checking your engine before starting it up anyways, so that's a good time to put it back in. And as someone else mentioned, if you are exposing your boat to the elements, definitely pull the plug.

I pull mine all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    You should be checking your engine before starting it up anyways, so that's a good time to put it back in. And as someone else mentioned, if you are exposing your boat to the elements, definitely pull the plug.

I pull mine all the time.
    So, what we can take away from this is, "When in doubt, pull it out." Right Haugy?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

always pull the plug when on the trailer. My grandmas boat (1989 CC Martinique Closed Bow) only has like 400 hours. But prob has rotten stringers... Reason being, it doesnt have a full weather cover, only a light duty snap on, it gets left out on the trailer often at the start and end of the season with the plug in unless me and my dad do it. Every time someone else did, the boat would be FULL of water, up to the floor! Had to replace the starter last year due to the original being flooded and it blew up inside... Martinique's are the biggest PITA plug ever, directly under the oil pan, have to get on starboard floor, lay down, and reach with left arm to get to plug...

Our boats, we pull the plug every time they get put on the lift or the trailer, pretty religiously too :P Especially for our CC, a 3,000lb DRY weight boat on a 3,000lb Boat lift...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Here in Colorado, and in Utah, the 2 places I boat - it's required to remove the plugs (I only have the rear) - they check when you arrive and when you leave.
    Dang Zebra mussels have changed a lot of things.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    Here in Colorado, and in Utah, the 2 places I boat - it's required to remove the plugs (I only have the rear) - they check when you arrive and when you leave.
    Dang Zebra mussels have changed a lot of things.
    Their checking ballast bags as well over here.
    Function before fashion!