Default transmission problems

We are proud owners of a 85 TS6M, this boat has been perfect since we purchased it 4 years ago. Up until this week we was out running approx 10 mph, when I decided to give it some gas, then...nothing, the motor did rev up but the prop completely stopped then we started hearing what sounded like gears trying to engage but could not. (sounded like a ten speed that was caught between gears. So there we was first time in 4 years (very good string of luck) we had to be pulled in to shore.

Our marina is telling us that there is a "plate between the motor and the transmission, and that behind that plate are springs" and they believe the springs have broken and to fix it they have to pull the motor. My thought is that if I have to pull the motor I might as well make sure the trans and motor are perfect before putting everything back together.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any input of idea's are welcome.
    Thank you all.
    Rob

replaced mine last year.plate and springs and you dont have to "pull " the motor.
    there is a posting here on this--go to the upper right of your screen to the advanced search section and type in damper plate repair or flex plate repair .
    it is all there!

Thank you , I am looking into the post you mentioned.

type in at the advanced search box to right "fly damper plate replacement"
    it is all ther including pics

Also -- Be sure to check your fluid level before you do anything. It's possible that you are losing fluid which would cause a very similar issue.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

That plate in not that bad of job. No need to pull the motor. Pull the tranny and the bell housing. You're going to have to lift the back of the motor a few inches to get the tranny out. I used a come along with a chain wrapped around the back of the tranny and the other end attached to the ski pole. Worked like a charm.

Does it sound like the boat is cavitating. If it does it could be the forward clutch plates. If they haven't been changed in a while I would change them while you have it apart. Not a huge deal and I wrote up how to do it a month ago. Search for tranny problem.
    Last edited by Cusefan78; 09-12-2013 at 10:49 AM.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Cusefan78 View Post
    That plate in not that bad of job.
    Haha. It SHOULDN'T be that bad of a job. I had a HORRIBLE time with mine - completely rusted on. But, I agree. Fairly simple task and shouldn't really take that long.

csuggs also has a great write up for the damper plate replacement.

I found the PB catalyst is great at liberating rusty stuff. Can be found at mot auto parts stores.
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

Thank you all for your input. I plan on pulling my Supra into the garage this week to start the process.

If you want to make reinstallation of the damper plate easier, get a brass pilot bearing so that you can use either a clutch alignment tool or a universal pilot tool. Makes centering the damper plate on the flywheel super easy and the tranny will just slide right on perfect.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.