Default Snapped driveshaft

Just got this picture from our current president. Apparently they were getting a rider up to speed when they heard a clunk and sure enough, the driveshaft sheared right off. Never seen this happen before so any info is appreciated. How much are we looking at for repair? Is it likely that other parts are broken/affected as well (which ones)?

What are the likely causes for this? Just a bad shaft/bad luck or something worse? My biggest fear is that with this being an old boat (1990 Sunsport) that the stringers have finally rotted enough for the engine to come slightly out of alignment which caused this...meaning our boat is quite likely totalled.

Thanks for any help.
    IMG957288.jpg

mine broke between the strut and prop. I claimed it on my insurance, did the labor myself and came out ahead with a upgraded prop, strut bearing, shaft and dripless seal. Parts including the prop was about $1500. insurance cut a check to include labor at 2500. mine looked like it had been fractured for a long time and let loose. I think metal fatigue is the main issue with mine but with yours I think alignment is the issue. But just a guess.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Never heard of a prop shaft breaking short of the boat hitting something. I do have the shaft out of my 89 Pirata that I was going to put up for sale, let me know if you think you might need it.

I haven't either but being the sole owner and drive of it for the past 13 years, I know I didn't
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001