Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild time!!

I've never seen treated lumber installed by the factory. I'd say you're the second guy in, and you should go the route you're thinking. Pull it out and go with Douglas Fir. The glass will stick better and if you do something to make sure water can't get trapped within the foam (like the factory), then it'll last forever.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I learned more about the prior rebuild tonight as I tore foam out. Whoever rebuilt the stringers, put limber holes in where I plan on putting them. Then after the fact someone drilled holes in the floor and foamed the cavities. The foam was just in piles under the holes in the floor and filled the limber holes shut. If they hadn't done that, I may not be ripping it all out. Some of the wood isn't even covered in fiberglass. Its just treated lumber left exposed. Kinda torqued that they took the time to replace the stringers, but botched it up so bad.

Honestly, when my time comes to tackle stingers/floor I do not think I will be adding foam. I know that it could save the boat from going to the bottom of the lake, but the air would circulate better and allow the water to escape without the foam getting in the way. I also think limber holes should be as large as possible- more like limber passages. I also am researching how to do a wood free stringer system. Not sure how cost-effective it would be though.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Coming along on the tear out. I have the motor pulled and all the foam out. Will post some pics tonight. I have a question though. Based off of my busy winter ahead of me, I thought I would check out hiring the stringer rebuild out to someone. I have two shops fairly local to me that specialize in boat rebuilding and stringer replacement. They both told me they wouldn't pull the top cap. ???? In fact the one shop said they would charge me more if I brought it to them with the cap off. They strongly opposed it. From reading on here and what I am seeing as I tear it apart, I don't understand how you could do it without pulling cap. What do you all think. I am leaning toward having them do it, but wanted some feedback first. Thanks

My opinion is that it can be done with the cap on, but I don't see how you could do as good of a job. Is the job good enough? - well, apparently these guys think so. I assume that they don't want the cap pulled because then they'd have to worry about sidewall flex and the impact it can have on a square floor (and then getting the cap back on). Although, as you see from other builds on this forum, that's not a big mountain to climb.

Do these guys have a warranty with their work? How long? That might tell the tale of craftsmanship they intend to use.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I did a "hybrid stringer replacement" that didn't involve pulling the top cap. My stringers were solid in front of the drivers seat so I just cut out the old stringers and grafted them in with the new ones.

Now that I know better and have seen others do it, I'd pull the cap and do them all. At the time I wasn't sure how long I'd be keeping the boat.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I did a "hybrid stringer replacement" that didn't involve pulling the top cap. My stringers were solid in front of the drivers seat so I just cut out the old stringers and grafted them in with the new ones.

Now that I know better and have seen others do it, I'd pull the cap and do them all. At the time I wasn't sure how long I'd be keeping the boat.
    I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I dropped the boat off at the shop. We checked the stringers up front in the bow and everything is good shape from drivers seat up. They are going to head off the stringers at the drivers seat like you did and replace everything back. They warranty their work and said they have done several this way. If I was doing it myself this winter, I would have done the whole deal, but I don't have the time and I trust him to make a sturdy boat. My stringers actually were still solid wood. No crumbly rot anywhere. The fiberglass was separated from the stringers though and was not very sound anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I dropped the boat off at the shop. We checked the stringers up front in the bow and everything is good shape from drivers seat up. They are going to head off the stringers at the drivers seat like you did and replace everything back. They warranty their work and said they have done several this way. If I was doing it myself this winter, I would have done the whole deal, but I don't have the time and I trust him to make a sturdy boat. My stringers actually were still solid wood. No crumbly rot anywhere. The fiberglass was separated from the stringers though and was not very sound anymore.
    I suspect you'll be fine. They sound competent -- I would insist on limber holes and foam delete, however. Will they be doing that?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

But if you don't redo it yourself, you dont the satisfaction of this!!!!!!
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I suspect you'll be fine. They sound competent -- I would insist on limber holes and foam delete, however. Will they be doing that?
    Yeah, they don't recommend foam and will be adding limber holes. Instead of foam for structure, he will build a grid between the stringers. Also, i asked him to put the floor under the gas tank on a piano hinge so i can open it up to access the pipes and such whenever needed.