Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I/O vs DD

Default I/O vs DD

I made the jump last year from a 16' outboard to my Salt. Put a lot of sweat into it and got it solid again. Enjoyed it all year with minimal learning curve in manuvering it and turning a low speeds.

I have read a lot of places that people who own full inboards will never go back to I/O's or outboards again. I have now joined that rank. Today, I helped a buddy Test Drive an 19' I/O. It has a SB V8 in it so it should be similar to work on as my BB. After that, the similarities go away.
    For only being a 19' boat with that power plant, it seemed to take a while to get on plane. It was very smooth once it got on plane.

It is a 1995 so I am assuming it is a composite boat as it is a Baja?? but it seems to be ass end heavy.

Turning it is where I saw the biggest difference. Compared to the Salt, it felt sluggish and fat. I felt like it might turn in a tight radius, but at a banked angle the whole way. I did not care for it compared to the Salt. It just felt sloppy...

The only thing I was envious of was when we were putting it back on the lift and were mis-aligned, it was nice to have a choice of direction in reverse. That being said, I love how when I go to the sand bar (noone beaches, but moors in 2-3 feet of water) I can front in till it is about 4' deep and then do the Forward/Reverse dance and watch it spin on a dime. It took me while, but I am sure I can spin the boat within its total length +2 feet.

Over all, the runabout is a nice boat, but there is no way I will ever go back to either an I/O or ourboard after having the DD. Just a better feel for me.
    86 Saltare

I'm in the same boat. Went from a baja to my supra and I'll never go back.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I've driven plenty of I/O and outboards, and skied behind most of them. I bought my Supra for skiing because it was DD. I'm sure there are a few outboards that do ski well, but I knew they would be hard to find. We all know what sucks about a DD (engine right in the middle of the boat) but that's what makes them special too. If I was buying a boat without skiing in mind though, I'm not sure that I would choose a DD. The motor in the middle and the fact that the prop and rudder are always under the boat are definite inconveniences. I built a railway for hauling my boat in and out, and everything had to be 16" taller than it would have been had it been had it not been a DD.

Still, the first time anyone who's never skied behind a proper ski boat gets behind my boat, they're impressed with how easy it is to get up and how solid the pull is for slalom.

We just made the jump from a dd to a vdrive. Totally different world same pull and close on the handling. With all the room of an I/O or ourboard.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    I've driven plenty of I/O the fact that the prop and rudder are always under the boat are definite inconveniences.
    I thought the same thing until I looked at a brochure for an 18' Rinker and it has a draft of 36"... Not sure if that with the outdrive down all the way or what, but seems deep. I am pretty sure the Salt has a draft of 25".
    86 Saltare

When I was 16 I bought a Correct Craft I/O I believe it was an 18 footer, with a Renault 4 cylinder engine. We were young and loved it, but it was tough to ski behind. Hardly could pull up a 120 pound kid. Since it was a Correct Craft I soon learned about the Ski Nautiques and always have wanted a D/D since. A couple years ago we started to go boating with some friends that had an I/O. Pretty much the same deal. Could hardly pull up a skier, I never did get up on skis behind it, did have fun on the knee board though. So my wife and I started think about getting a boat, I agreed to get one, but it had to be a D/D ski boat. There is no comparison between the two. And I would rather not get in the water behind anything else. Tried to knee board behind my buddies outboard while in Folly beach, and it was a terrible experience. Would like to try a V-Drive. But pretty sure I will stay with the Pirata for the rest of my life.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

This was behind the Pirata a couple weeks ago. Don't think an I/O could do it.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    This was behind the Pirata a couple weeks ago. Don't think an I/O could do it.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Couldnt get your link to work..
    86 Saltare

2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I have had ob, I/O, dd and now vdrive. One of which was an 18' aluminum deep v with a worked over 275hp mercury was fast as hell but still didn't match the pull of the Bravura.

If you ever make the jump to an all composite vdrive i would bet you will wish you had done it a long time ago.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape