Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown tire

Default Blown tire

It's happened to all of us at some point or another, a blown tire.
    20130922_211326.jpg

20130922_211338.jpg

but just some advice to those that do not have one,

I would suggest making one of these.
    20130922_211350.jpg

It's just a single piece of 2x6 cut so that the bottom piece is the same length as the diameter of the tire and the next being 4 inches shorter than the previous. Hope this helps someone.
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4

So, is the idea of this to put out so that the good tire can drive up onto the wood and in turn lift the bad wheel enough that you can remove the bad wheel without having to use a jack? seems ingenious actually. I had a blown tire that we of course found after pulling the boat out of the water. We used the truck jack and that got us by fine. Your contraption would have lessoned the time of jacking considerably. Not sure if I'd really want to carry that around though.

And for use at home, I just whip out the aluminum floor jack and the impact gun...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Default Blown tire

Instead of packing around a 2x4 ramp that's big and bulky, I use this.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/produc...3&merchID=4006

Default Blown tire

^^^ that's actually pretty legit. certainly quicker and easier than a bottle jack.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So, is the idea of this to put out so that the good tire can drive up onto the wood and in turn lift the bad wheel enough that you can remove the bad wheel without having to use a jack? seems ingenious actually. I had a blown tire that we of course found after pulling the boat out of the water. We used the truck jack and that got us by fine. Your contraption would have lessoned the time of jacking considerably. Not sure if I'd really want to carry that around though.

And for use at home, I just whip out the aluminum floor jack and the impact gun...
    The ramp is a little bulky, but it is for road use only and its like having insurance...you don't want to use it, but it is great when you have it and need it. I'll be honest, I was able to change the tire much faster than if I had used a standard jack, but not a floor jack.

Considering the options, I don't mind having some extra wood in the bed of my truck instead of a floor jack that someone would be more inclined to take, but that's just me.

Has anyone tried that contraption from Overton's I'm a little skeptical as it looks flimsy, anyone ever try it?
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's

I was given this as a Christmas gift last year and have used it with great success. Its cheaper to build your own but this is pretty cool.

http://www.genosgarage.com/TRAILER-A...o/TRAILER-AID/
    Last edited by inair; 09-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    1991 SunSport

Default Blown tire

Here's mine. Use it for flats, checking bearings, and chalking the trailer.

All are great ideas, glad to see that others have options outside of the old fashioned piston jack that takes forever. Keep em coming, I'm all for DIY options especially if they are easier than what I am currently using.
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's

I actually have one like Blackout does. And I use it like others, jack, chock, stand for a jacked up vehicle if needed, tent stake hammer, etc.

The roller jack like Villian posted is a must have if you are a single axle trailer. My stacked wood is only good for tandems. Since all my trailers are tandems, it gets a lot of use.