Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Fluid Change Question

So, I plan on changing the tranny fluid in my 08 Sunsport while winterizing this year. My question is this. While hooked up to a fake-a-lake can you put it in gear to spin the transmission to stir up the fluid prior to the change? Is this even necessary? It hasn't been ran in 3 or 4 weeks now, just want to get out any contaminates that I can. Will this hurt my drive shaft seals or anything not being submerged in water?

Thanks for the advise guys...sadly, summer is coming to a close for me.
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

You should never spin a DD of VD out of the water . Its very hard on the cutlass bearings.

That's what I was thinking. Will running it out of water in neutral stir any of the tranny fluid, or only when it is in gear?
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Quote Originally Posted by jaywidhalm View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Will running it out of water in neutral stir any of the tranny fluid, or only when it is in gear?
    How far away from a lake are you? You would be surprised how running the boat and getting everything up to temp will help out. I run mine up to temp and then trailer it back about 10-20 minute drive depending on the launch I use and traffic, then it is about another 20 minutes or so before I start pulling fluids and they are still plenty toasty when I drain them.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

What he said ^^^^^

Best to change with warm fluids.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    What he said ^^^^^

Best to change with warm fluids.
    Yeah, I am about 20 minutes from a launch...was just trying to avoid that ordeal since I already have a fake a lake so I can get the oil up to temp. Oh well, one last trip it is...I may have to do a ski run while I am out!
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Quote Originally Posted by jaywidhalm View Post
    Yeah, I am about 20 minutes from a launch...was just trying to avoid that ordeal since I already have a fake a lake so I can get the oil up to temp. Oh well, one last trip it is...I may have to do a ski run while I am out!
    The fake a lake will still come in handy for after you change the engine oil and filter. Always a great idea to run it and circulate clean oil once more before the lay up.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    The fake a lake will still come in handy for after you change the engine oil and filter. Always a great idea to run it and circulate clean oil once more before the lay up.
    I start at the lake - always need one last ride. Head home for the fluid changes. Then recirc some oil. Then start the winter layup process.

http://www.waterskis.com/43560-p/fake-a-lake.htm

Mark

Yeah, that's true. I always circulate the fresh stuff before she sleeps for the winter.
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

I'm not positive in this but I believe the fluid still flows as long as the boat is on. The flow depends on Rpms and the gear it's in. But the fluid should cycle even though it's not in gear.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers