Default 1997 Sunsport rudder replacement

Well, after 15 years of abusing this boat (It's only got 300 hours on it) I need to think about rudder and steering cable replacement. It's getting hard to turn. I planned on installing the assembly from skidim for the rudder but not sure what steering cable it may need, any ideas?

Also, has anyone had trouble with the fuel tank sending unit and if so, did you replace it or just clean up the contacts on it.
    It's been a great boat and I want to keep it going for many more years.

The steering cable will depend on the helm you have. As for the sending unit mine went bad. Change it out

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

What specifically is wrong with your rudder on a 97 that it needs replacing?

Default 1997 Sunsport rudder replacement

Very hard to turn to port and getting sloppy, way too much play, it's hard to hold a straight track

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unless your rudder is noticeably bent, I would start by replacing the cable. If you still have issue once everything is back together with the new cable I would then assess your rudder. Good luck.

^what he said...I have a hard time believing your rudder needs replacing unless you know it hit something. It may just need some tlc.

I thought there were 2 different rudder config's on these boats- 1 had O-rings that wear out and the other had wax rope packing that wears out. Mine has a little side to side slop in it with 300 hours also. About 1/8 inch play measured at the lowest point on the rudder from the hull. it still tracks good though. I also thought the skidim rudders were not a direct replacement but require some fabrication and glass work from what I have read. I could be wrong, though.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Afaik, the only mod was that sometimes you had to enlarge the main hole in the boat. The Skidim one comes with mounting slots for the hardware so that it fits a wide variety of hole patterns.