Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Video of the platform at surf speed 1300lbs of ballast:

Video of wave at surf speed 1300lbs of ballast:

Video of Platform and wave at surf speed 1450lbs of ballast, this is what we rode on:

I don't think we got any video of us riding the wave as our photographer friend was taking stills with his SLR. We will get some of those posted up as well when he gets them uploaded.

Anyway, that's the results of our prototype build. Feel free to ask any questions. Requests for more pics or videos shouldn't be a problem either because I'm sure we will want to get out and ride this more this year.

Dibs! Unless shipping is more expensive than what I can make myself!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Dibs! Unless shipping is more expensive than what I can make myself!
    Of course, who knows what Desi would price he handiwork at!!! *evil laugh*

But, when that time comes I can get shipping quotes. My work has a great contract with fedex ground. I remember I was able to ship my boat transmission from WA to OH for $25 + insurance, and it was like 55 pounds.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Sweet! I could probably just cut up my supra pad and attach it on top of the new platform. That would save me some cost!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

I think this video is decent aside from the pixelization to show the surf wave and that the platform was basically not affecting the wave at all and you can see we're running water to the rub rail (and it was kinda rougher).
    http://s109.photobucket.com/user/pha...2e4e4.mp4.html

This one does a good job at showing the platform itself in action:
    http://s109.photobucket.com/user/pha...bea32.mp4.html

And I think that the platform even as a prototype looks pretty decent on the boat:

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Ideally I'd price it for the cost of the materials just to offset the cost of our platform. Cost of materials for the new final platform are estimated as follows:
    3/4" severe weather plywood $55
    Fiberglass mat $20
    Fiberglass cloth $20
    Fiberglass resin $100
    Hydroturf covering $80
    Misc materials, brushes, rollers, sandpaper, adhesive, etc $25
    Gel coat if a different color is desired (we can also tint the resin, probably gonna do black for ours) $50
    So all in all, expect a cost of about $300-350 plus shipping. Basically coming out to, we break even on the materials and build one for free labor and have one for ourselves.

Btw: with the thickness of the platform, you're able to use all your factory hardware. The platform will be predrilled if you are using it on a supra with the same oem platform brackets. Otherwise it will be blank.
    Last edited by phathom; 09-27-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phathom View Post
    Just for the record, yes we know it is OSP, not traditional plywood, and yes we know that the dual 7/16" layers will separate over time, and yes we know that just the undercoating will not prevent this or 100% stop the moisture.
    This is just to test and finish the season out to see if we should pursue a more expensive single sheet marine plywood fiberglassed version with pad and probably grab rails.
    If we do make that, we figure we will have materials enough to make two, so one will most likely end up for sale on here for anyone who likes the idea and wants one too without the labor.
    I am currently waiting at the boat ramp for Trayson to get here to test this sumbyatch out and here he is posting a build thread lol.
    Will post pics of the results of todays testing soon... If he gets here before dark.
    Just for the record it's OSB oriented strand board Phathom.
    Out of curiosity, why not build it out of 1 inch plastic? Seems easy enough and you know it won't rot.
    1 more thing....i love it
    Function before fashion!

Thanks Phathom! Definitely less than an OEM from Supra, but more than I thought it would cost.

2500--where would you source 1" plastic?
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport

Function before fashion!

Default Custom Surf Platform build

Holy crap spendy!!!!!