Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Custom Surf Platform build

I sent you a pm

trayson, what thickness do you think you'll need for this, 1/2" or 3/4"? will 1/2" be strong enough to stand on without significant bracing over the 3/4"?

edit: i actually found another company with 1/4" and 3/8" thickness, sheets are much cheaper with those two as well. what's the minimum thickness that one should go with on this stuff?
    Last edited by jtryon; 04-04-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added info
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    trayson, what thickness do you think you'll need for this, 1/2" or 3/4"? will 1/2" be strong enough to stand on without significant bracing over the 3/4"?

edit: i actually found another company with 1/4" and 3/8" thickness, sheets are much cheaper with those two as well. what's the minimum thickness that one should go with on this stuff?
    Well, honestly, I'm going to go with the 3/4". I haven't played with the HPDE specifically, but I've read that it's not quite as stiff as the equivalent plywood. I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything less than 1/2" and I'm not going to try the 1/2". When I did my prototype platform, I not only narrowed it and lopped off the corners as much as possible, but I also lengthened the platform--so I have extra length that extends past where I have platform braces. Because of that I was hesitant to do anything too thin.

HPDE is basically the same stuff you'll see on the plastic cutting boards. So think if a 1/2" cutting board would do the job.

That said, if you were really determined to use a thinner material, you might be able to get away with it if you add material to your braces. maybe form a "frame" underneath the HPDE out of aluminum flat bar to provide extra support. However, by the time you factor in the costs of extra bracing materials, you're probably spending more money than had you just gone with 3/4" HPDE in the first place.

Now instead of HPDE, you could certainly go with marine plywood or even regular plywood. Give it as much of a waterproof coating as possible and slap some closed cell foam on the top and you're done. If it only lasts a few seasons, then just make another one. That's a thought.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Hdpe is harder than cutting board material.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Any update? I'm building this for my marauder here in the next couple of days and want to know if it has been built yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggylemur View Post
    Any update? I'm building this for my marauder here in the next couple of days and want to know if it has been built yet?
    haven't gotten around to doing HDPE. We did a little water sealing on the "prototype" and I glued some closed cell foam on it and we're making it last longer. LOL

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Loved your idea Trayson so i built my own. This is 2 pieces of AC plywood glued and screwed together and covered in hurculiner. Kinda thinkin i should have covered it with a coat of resin first for a better seal but it's to late now.
    I tried it out today and it was awesome. nothin draggin in the water disrupting the wave.

Function before fashion!

Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!