Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default saltare trailer rebuild

I've torn into my derelict saltare trailer. The previous owner left it outside for several years... sheet metal was rusted badly, it was just best to cut it all off. I also cut off the bunks and the bunk support steel as it was too rusted to salvage. The prop guard and front cross member were bent, so off they came too. Here is what was left:

summer 2013 Family pics 662.jpgsummer 2013 Family pics 681.jpgsummer 2013 Family pics 682.jpg
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

After sandblasting and ordering new fenders, sheet metal, tube and plate steel, here is the latest progress:
    c-channel bunk supports cut, drilled and welded on:summer 2013 Family pics 683.jpg

and a new prop guard with wheels to assist on those steep areas where the trailer would bottom out:
    summer 2013 Family pics 684.jpg

and to please my wife, removable guide posts, that pin in. (When we go out in the upper hudson, there are no docks, i back in the trailer, she drives the boat on)
    summer 2013 Family pics 687.jpg

So i ordered paint from eastwood, epoxy primer and catalyst, black. Cribbed the trailer up 3' and spent 4 hrs spraying on the primer with a HVLP gun. Was very pleased with this product, covered well, used about 1/2 gallon of paint and activator total. (It comes by the gallon and you mix the activator 1:1). Dries quickly providing a good base for the blue urethane final coat.. more pics to follow.

so I am about to complete this trailer in the next 2 weeks, and will be offering my other salter trailer up for sale... look for the post in the classified section.

Looking great JRC! Quality looking work. I did a resto on my Saltare trailer last spring, but didn't have to do as much welding. Looking forward to seeing your end product.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

How much do you think you will ask for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.jrc View Post
    so I am about to complete this trailer in the next 2 weeks, and will be offering my other salter trailer up for sale... look for the post in the classified section.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsie View Post
    How much do you think you will ask for it?
    $2,500 is a rough guess.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The Trailer resto is looking good MR.JRC. Can't wait to see how it looks when your done with it, keep the pics comming. It's nice to see another classic supra owner close by...
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Looking great! I've been overdue on replacing my prop guard and adding wheels for a few years now.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.