Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default carpet replacement

I have a 1989 21 foot planning on replacing the carpet and maybe the floor, how is the carpet fasten? does it come out easy? looking for suggestions, thanks

Its glued down . If the floor is rotten and the foam under it is wet you probably have rot in the stringers . Make sure you inspect everything carefully so your not covering other problems.

ok, how do you remove the carpet? how is the floor fastened to the boat?

Jonnb, more than likely your carpet is glued down, if you plan on replacing the carpet just start ripping it out and throwing it in the can. But i have a good feeling your going to get into what i have just started. I had one soft spot so figured i would replace the soft spot and new carpet. Well, i pulled the carpet up and the whole floor looked like poo so i pulled the floor up and my foam is saturated and all of my cross stringers are pretty much gone. So now i am digging out foam and replacing stringers. This may not be your case buy if i were a betting man and you have the original 89 floor in there it's going to be the same.

thanks for the info, sounds like a winter project

are the floor boards nailed, glued, or screwed down?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnb View Post
    are the floor boards nailed, glued, or screwed down?
    Depending on who was in there last, it's anyone's guess. Henner is right though, sounds like you're in for a complete rebuild. I suggest that you search this forum for stringer repairs and spend a few hours doing some reading. There's lots of information here that will likely answer all of your questions.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Staying on point with the carpet question, I'm going to redo my carpet this winter as well. It's just dingy and dirty from the PO and no amount of scrubbing has brought it to the level I prefer. So I'm going to rip it out, put in nice plushy new gray carpet back in.

Question: Where can I find those strips that cover the carpet that runs up the console and center walk through area? You know, those little black strips that go about shin high and cover where the carpet ends? It's only right there on the front and at the helm. Any idea what that's called or where to get it?

Also, what glue has everyone been using to fasten down their carpets?

viper might know??--just a thought!

Does anyone have a suggestion for the replacement carpet? Website, manufacturer, local store, etc.? I'll also be replacing the carpet in my '92 comp this winter.

Haugy, I'm still looking deciding on what glue/adhesive. This is what i'm thinking of using as of now

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...t-Information/