Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

I'm not sure what the one step is, but after the buffing I would use a finisher/polisher like Finesse It. Then wax. I'd do the buffing and polisher with a buffer and wax by hand. I'm sure others have don't it differently, but the wax is a protector, not a finisher that needs to do "work." It just needs to be applied, and sometimes a buffer can actually burn the wax off and not leave it applied.

Looking great, and again, you're making great progress.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I also do waxing by hand. I use the mcguires stuff at west marine and just wipe small circles with a little applied pressure until it leave a hazy kind of coat on it. I then let it sit for about 5 mins while working another spot and go back over it with another ta go get it off. Has always turned out great for me.

Default 1986 Sunsport project

Wow! That's looking really good! I've not been on here for a while.
    Are you sure there was no pilon or do you think it could have been removed? There would have been a steel crossmember just in front of the motor for a pilon. That may be the difference between the Sunsport and the Sunsport Skier for 1986

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Wow! That's looking really good! I've not been on here for a while.
    Are you sure there was no pilon or do you think it could have been removed? There would have been a steel crossmember just in front of the motor for a pilon. That may be the difference between the Sunsport and the Sunsport Skier for 1986

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm sure, no support bracket, no hole in floor. The wake plate is small and doesn't have the adjustment struts either. Strange..... Should have bee called the tuber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the exact boat, and mine did not have the pilon or the cross-member either. I always just assumed the prior owner had taken it out when the floor was worked on.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

The Sunsport Skier has the adjustable wake plate and pilon. You really don't need it since I'm guessing you'll go with a tower. And I keep my wake plate flat and never adjust it so it's probably not an issue. The only time I use my pilon is if I'm pulling a heavy, inexperienced guy on a wakeboard or if pulling multiple tubes.
    Last edited by csuggs; 11-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Maybe mine is not a skier then. I haven't looked into a hull id # decoder, is there one?

Starting the paint! So far I like the product, rolled on a thin coat and tipped it with a 3" brush. Lays down flat and looks nice. Going to do three coats on the stripe. I have the gray primer for upper section of hull.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsie View Post
    Maybe mine is not a skier then. I haven't looked into a hull id # decoder, is there one?

Yes. I have a copy of the 1986 manual with id codes. I can email to you if you like.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com