Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default 1986 Sunsport project

So I have been lurking here for a while researching older Supras with the intention of finding one for myself. The day before I was leaving to go on a 5 hour drive to look at a 1984 Rider, I found this one on CL. Condition is pretty rough but I wanted a winter project, the price was right and it was less than a 2 hour drive. Long story short I bought a 1986 Sunsport. The motor (351W) runs well and has even compression (~100psi) on all 8, electronic ignition, new Holley carb, 1:1 velvet drive etc...The hull has a few big dings here and there but not too bad. The gelcoat and stripes need some attention for sure. Cutting board swim platform(). Trailer is rough but seems to "fit" the boat ok (not a supra trailer). The interior is gone and the floor is very soft on the left side of the engine compartment. The rear motor mount bolts are loose confirming bad stringers. (As I write this I'm wondering why I even bought it LOL!) I have a bunch of spare parts from the previous owner including a complete tranny, steering cable assy, shift cable assy, manifolds, water pump, brand new captain's chairs, bell-housing, flywheel etc...

My plan is to build a boat that I can surf and wake board behind with my family and not have a boat payment

Engine is coming out this weekend and floor will be removed soon after. I hope to not have to take off the top cap but we will see.

This boat appears to have never had a ski pylon?

Wake plate is non adjustable?

To be continued.....
    supra 026.jpg
    supra 028.jpg
    supra 029.jpg
    supra 030.jpg
    supra 031.jpg

Sounds like a good candidate for a vdrive conversion

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Sounds like a good candidate for a vdrive conversion
    I'll be happy if it is water ready by spring! I can't imagine the amount of time a V-Drive setup would take to get done properly. The drivetrain is the only thing on this boat that doesn't need attention!

I concur with Ngavdba on all accounts. You've got a solid project on your hands, but it's very doable, and the trailer is likely the original (and definitely native to Supra boats). It looks exactly like my SMP trailer (other than I've restored mine).

There are lots of small things that need attention, but the the obvious thing is the stringers. It sounds like you know what you're getting into, but tackle that first and everything else is elementary. Keep us updated.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Haha I just called about that boat yesterday lol. Nice find. The trailer was worth more than the guys asking price. Nice project. You will have to keep us updated

Started the floor removal last night. Foam is soaked and stringers are rotten. I knew the boat seemed heavy on the way home! That soaked foam must weigh a ton, should have thrown a decent wake lol! The top cap is coming off for sure, more pics coming soon.

More progress today. Had some help from the boys, removed rub rail and drilled out all the rivets. Unscrewed cap from floor, unhooked anything that is connecting the two halves etc... She should be coming home in three pieces tomorrow
    supra 001.jpg
    supra 013.jpg
    supra 015.jpg
    supra 019.jpg
    supra 021.jpg

Today was a sucess! I removed the windshield last night to shed some weight and so I didn't have to worry about it braking. Short trailer trip to my friends place (X2). Picked out the motor with the tractor and set it in the middle of my 18' trailer, easy. Moved over next to his equip trailer and picked off the cap using two straps secured to the four cleats. Piece of cake! The cap and motor fit my trailer perfect, screwed the gunnels to the trailer floor and built a brace for the bow. Got the motor winterized and and tarped the trailer. Now for the foam and rotten wood removal

I'm wondering if I should take the hull off the trailer and block it up. The SMP trailer is in need of some serious work and I don't know if I want to wait untill the spring to get the boat off the trailer. Now would be the time I guess.... it is as light as it will ever be right now.

image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_5.jpg

I'm allowing myself about 5 months, after that my shop will be too busy and I will need the space back. I own a Motorcycle/ATV repair shop and it gets pretty slow in the winter. Now that I said that, watch us have snow storms all the time and have no place to put the sleds that are always broken!

Good call on starting the trailer first. I am not sure how to block up the hull, 3 points of contact?