Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio locations

Default Radio locations

Hello all,

I'm looking for a location to mount my radio in my 88 comp. I hate the current sideways mounted tape deck! I was thinking of atop the helm or under it in a box. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Torque

Heres a thought, do you actually need a traditional radio head-unit?
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Default Radio locations

Not sure what you mean by that.

If you have all your music stored on your phone or you always stream it, like I do, you can just get an RCA to aux cord and just connect your phone directly to the amp and bypass the head unit all together. I never use my radio except for listening to college football games on the lake, but I could stream that if I had to I suppose.
    My old ski challenger had a radio above dash.
    Last edited by James; 10-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Default Radio locations

That's a neat idea! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    Do you listen to AM, FM or CD any more? If not, then a traditional head-unit can be done away with.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I bought a glove box off eBay and cut it in under the windshield on the observers side. It is even angled and matches the angle of the windshield. I mounted the radio In the back of the glove box so I can keep my phone wallet and iPod in there too. I also installed a wires remote and put it in between the observers seat and the dash so I can flip through songs on my iPod and phone. Still have all the radio functions with ease of control from the drivers seat. I used some strapping to hold the back of the radio to the thick plywood under the windshield .
    1987 Comp Ts6m
    custom graphics
    OJ prop

Default Radio locations

Do you have any pictures of the glove box?

The issue here is my wife is not technical, so simple is better. That's the reason for the head unit.

I am away from the boat unto Sunday. I will post some then. I think the glove box was $50 bucks and it locks too.
    1987 Comp Ts6m
    custom graphics
    OJ prop

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post

The issue here is my wife is not technical, so simple is better. That's the reason for the head unit.
    It can be as simple as plugging a headphone cable into your MP3/smart phone and play your play list, stream pandora or Iheart. Or even use the devices bluetooth and go cableless.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio