Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Runway lights on a digital bilge switch.

And now for my latest mod.... Runway lights!!!!!!!!

I got this idea from a cool writeup on Wakeworld.

Here's what you need:
    1. 5 meters of black 5050 SMD waterproof strip lights, Mine light up BLUE
    2. Atwood Digital Bilge Switch (Amazon.com had the best price)
    3. A bunch of black zip ties

So, 5 meters was enough to go from the rear of the trailer most of the way towards the front. Close enough that I didn't feel compelled to waste more money on lights. I paid $26 shipped off ebay from a seller called nj-store.

This switch will power the lights on for 8 seconds when you first turn on the running lights. Just a power up test it always does. Once the sensors are wet for 8 seconds, then the lights will illuminate. The switch will keep the lights powered up for 1 minute after the sensors are out of the water. There are no moving parts on this switch so it won't trigger the lights going down the road on bumps.
    http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Digita.../dp/B001O0D6LU

Okay, so I just ran the strip lights down the top of my frame rails of my trailer. I tapped into my running light circuit of my trailer lights, ran a wire across to the other side to power those strip lights, and secured the strip lights about every 3 to 4 feet with zip ties around the frame rails. Yes, they have adhesive, but it's weak and I don't trust it so I zip tied the strip lights in place.
    Last edited by trayson; 09-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Pic from the front. You can see it goes quite a ways towards the bow.

I chose to run the strip lights down the back of the frame rail and 1 light worth underneath. That way I could wrap the top and bottom with a looped zip tie.
    My trailer had flat metal that butted right up against the frame rail, so I just drilled a small hole in the sheet metal for the zip tie. Why not?

Slightly blurry pic from the rear. It goes on the inside of the carpet that pads the fenders. Just on the top, inside of the main frame rails. This is going to be awesome when I'm pulling the boat onto the trailer at night. Plus it will look wicked cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bling, bling!!

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Very cool idea! I wish I did more night boating to justify needing it!

I can't see the pic of the switch. Can you add a link?
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Very cool idea! I wish I did more night boating to justify needing it!

I can't see the pic of the switch. Can you add a link?
    the OP was updated with a different pic and a link to amazon.

That said, it's not really for "night boarding" so much as it's for the fact that once we hit Labor Day, the sun is setting at 7pm. So if we go out after work at the end of summer and play for a couple hours, then by the time we've drained our ballast we're crusing back to the dock as it's changing from dusk to dark. Then by the time the trailer's being backed into the water, it's now dark.

Yeah, I can see my LED taillights in the water, but having a brighter and cooler landmark to aid in putting the boat on the trailer when it's dark is gonna be way cool.

Plus, I'm only $45 into this project including tax and shipping. $45 is a pretty cheap mod when it comes to our boats. I just ordered a waterproof stainless LED lighted swtich so I can override the switch and have it glow regardless of if it's in the water or not. I went the "get it from China" ebay route and got a switch for $3.50 that will show up in probably 3 weeks...

Default Trailer Runway lights on a digital bilge switch.

Wanted to do this for a while. Looks good man!

Thanks. I'll field test it this evening, since it's finally drying out enough to go play. We're also going to test our prototype surf platform. Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Nice mod! I do come in quite a bit at night and could use some runway lights. I think the only thing I would do differently is not use zip ties but instead maybe a bead of clear silicone adhesive along the lights to hold in place I use these types of lights all the time in my business and the adhesive tape does not old up for long. On wood, I use a T model staple gun and shoot staples over the strip to hold them tight.
    I like the switch idea. I was just going to add a switch inline at tongue so I could flip on and off when I wanted.
    Yeah, on the WW thread someone posted that same idea about the silicone. That's a good idea. Although I would have had a hard time getting to one section that's between the hull and the insides of the fenders (at least with the boat on the trailer!). Anyway, my trailer's black so the black zip ties won't be too noticeable. And they're 100% removeable should I want to do something different in the future.

Pic of the runway lights in action! they were so badass when I was docking last night. I was lovin' it.

And a video:
    http://s109.photobucket.com/user/pha...790c8.mp4.html

Love it! Thanks for the link. Keep up the great mods. Waiting for video on the swim platform...

Where did you mount the Attwood switch?
    Last edited by kvand347; 09-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Not sure if you said where you mounted the Attwood switch?
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport