Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many batteries do you run?

Hi all,

I started redoing my interior in my 88 comp. all new seats, stereo etc. my question to you all is; do I need a second battery if I am using an amp or two on the stereo and sub?

What did you do to accommodate the amps, led lighting etc? Maybe a larger alternator?

I figure while I have it torn apart, I can package the second battery if needed easily.

Thanks!!

2 batteries, always 2. Once you see the benefit you'll never go back to one. You can run your stereo and have a good time, and always have the other one to get home.

On a boat, a word most boaters learn is "redundancy". Always have a backup if feasible. If you plan on running a bigger than stock stereo, you must get another battery. Put it on a perko switch so you can switch from one to the other.

First thing I do on any boat is get new batteries, and if has one it's immediately converted to two.

i would be intersted to see a write up with pics on this!
    hint hint

this has been on my To-Do list for wayyy too long!
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM

What Haugy said.

I have two and a perko switch. I rarely need the 2nd one, but when you need it, you need it.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Ok. now for the questions;

• How dose this switch work?

•How do you wire the second battery in?

•Is it in series with the primary?

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    Ok. now for the questions;

• How dose this switch work?

•How do you wire the second battery in?

•Is it in series with the primary?
    The switch is a large control knob. It allows you to control what battery is operating. It has an "Off" setting which kills ALL power to the boat. Very nice for storing the boat when done. And it has a "1" and a "2" setting. Allowing you to choose which battery you want to run off of.

To wire them up, you simply run your Positive line into the perko from each battery. Then one more positive line goes out to the boat. Essentially there will be three wires going into the Perko. 2 inbound, one outbound. Then you can ground the batteries together and then to the boat. I run a distribution block for my grounds so that I can wire my audio straight to that and get a good ground. Both batteries wire into this. And then out to the boat's ground. They are always grounded. And since they share a universal grounding point, it doesn't matter which battery you are on.

It's really easy. Just get two batteries, and a perko switch. Find where you want to mount them first, then go get GOOD cable and hook it up.

The batteries aren't in series. You can put them in parallel with another setting on the perko switch. It will say "Both" or "All". That allows two things. You can start the boat with the batteries in parallel which is only needed if both batteries are really low. But it will also charge both banks of batteries when underway.

*CAUTION* Using the "Both" or "All" setting does require some more prep work. It is recommended that if you ever really want to do this, both batteries need to be of the same size and power capacity, twins essentially. In power (correct me if I'm wrong someone), but it will typically charge the weaker battery first. This will cause in imbalance in the load and can damage the weaker one, and weaken the good one.

Because I have a medium duty battery for my daily activities, and a big heavy duty for my back up, I never run the switch on the "both" setting. I can start it on the heavy duty, and then switch back to the medium duty if I've run it down. It will charge on the ride home.

Does that make sense?

You were writing while I was writing. Lol.

Yes that makes sense. Is the ground busbar called an Earth Ground?

Haugy is dead on balls. Exactly what I have done. I went the extra step to have custom zero gauge welding cable with new ends made up as battery cables. The OEM cables can get tired and additional resistance over time. Plus, I like overkill. I was able to replace my ground to the block, the cables to the perko switch, the ground connecting the two batteries, and the cable from the starter relay to the alternator all for under $100. I didn't replace the power cable that goes from the perko switch back to the starter relay at the back of my block though. It seemed to be in okay shape and would have added a lot of cost.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Also, if you have accessories that are wired directly to your battery now, you need to hook them to the "output" terminal of the perko switch. My previous owner had a ballast pump wired to the battery, and I got lazy and wired some stereo stuff to the battery. That's all fixed now.

I also ran some additional 8 gauge from the perko switch to the fuse distribution block and a run of 8 gauge from the battery to a bus bar (ground distribtion block) so that I can power and ground the items under the dash better. The grounds under the dash really suck. My perfect pass was having 1 or 2 volts of drop and that's cured now.