Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Just May Have it This Time?

Earlier this year I bought a 84 comp for 2500 dollars . I expected a lot of issues being so cheap and there have been many to sort out. The one that has given me the most trouble is the carb. I rebuilt it as I have done hundreds of others but just could not get it just right 90% at best. The main issues have been Idle and hot starting. I have tracked it down to float level . This is the first boat I have ever owned with the engine slanting back . This causes the carb to not sit level on the intake. The float specs no longer apply because of the angle. The front float level has to be lowered or it will run rich or flood. I'm thinking the rear should be raised? Anyhow
    Its trail and error making small adjustments but I never could get it dead on. I was reading a post on another forum about a wedge spacer to straighten out the carb. I found a 12 degree spacer on eBay for 25 dollars and got it. I set the floats and other settings to spec and installed it . Its definitely better but it needs a full day on the lake for details on performance. Ill post more after a lake test.

Nice find! I wonder what other application would need a wedge like that? Would the original service manual tell you what to set the floats too?

Good luck and let me know how it works out. I had a Holley on my salt and had the same problem over and over. It would backfire through the carb. I would adjust the floats and gas would pour down the secondaries or no gas at all... I finally got fed up and changed it out for an Edelbrock... I AM NOT BASHING HOLLEY.... just saying...

but i never had luck with it. Let us know if this works or not. My thoughts were that the boat moves so much anyway that it never sits level and a spacer would not do anything for it.
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Nice find! I wonder what other application would need a wedge like that? Would the original service manual tell you what to set the floats too?
    They are used in racing Summit and Jegs carries them. The original manuals don't take the angle into account if you set the floats to spec it will be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    Good luck and let me know how it works out. I had a Holley on my salt and had the same problem over and over. It would backfire through the carb. I would adjust the floats and gas would pour down the secondaries or no gas at all... I finally got fed up and changed it out for an Edelbrock... I AM NOT BASHING HOLLEY.... just saying...

but i never had luck with it. Let us know if this works or not. My thoughts were that the boat moves so much anyway that it never sits level and a spacer would not do anything for it.
    Go ahead and bash I have never been a fan of Holley.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I think it was CADUNKLE that gets upset about Holley bashers... lol I was just CMA...
    86 Saltare

But since you mention that, I have been very happy with the 1410 I put on. I probably could have went with the 1409 though.

385 shipped at amazon....
    http://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-1409...edelbrock+1409

just incase the wedge doesnt work...
    86 Saltare

Funny I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing. It wouldn't be an issue if these carbs had externally adjustable floats, but it does get a bit tedious pulling the bowl, adjusting the float and re installing. I don't think it was an issue in my case but it may be in yours, the nitrofil floats will slowly absorb fuel and sink so you have to set the float height to accomodate. New floats aren't a lot of money and it's good insurance.

I just pulled the carb for the winter on mine and plan on rebuilding over the winter. It's already got a new float in the front and I'll replace the one in the rear. I've been thinking about the wedge spacer myself. My only concern is that these boats seem to be fine out of the factory, so do they really need the wedge to run right?

Let us know how it comes out.

Took it out yesterday and there was a tremendous improvement not perfect yet but better than its ever been . There is one thing that I forgot to say . After the wedge was installed I had a clearance issue with the engine cover . I just made a new lower 1 1/4 '' taller. The old one wasn't all that great anyway so it wasn't any big problem.

Some times a faulty PCV valve will causes the same problems. There only a couple bucks and easy to replace .