Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
don't forget the OHC 427 had a 6 FT TIMING CHAIN! People avoided the motor because under long and hard runs the chain would stretch and cause the cams to come out of sync...
People didn't avoid the 427 SOHC, it simply was never offered in any production vehicle. It was a parts counter item though and was generally available to the public for around $3400, about what it cost in '64-'68 to get a 427 or 428 Galaxie. Your average weekend warrior wasn't going to spend as much as he spent on his car, or more than he spent on his car if you're talking a Fairlane. It was made for Nascar to compete with the 426 hemi and run 8000+ RPM all day. Cam timing at high RPM was an issue with a nearly 6' long timing chain and was addressed by advancing the timing on the passenger side cam 4* so at high RPM the cams were timed the same.

Not sure what you mean by most classic Fords get a SBC. Most Fords I see 50s through 70s have Ford engines. Most are SBF though you see FEs and 385 series as well. Less common are flatheads, and it's quite rare that I see a Y block. The only Fords I see with Chevy engines in any quantity are 30s and 40s Fords. Flatheads are expensive to build and don't make nearly the power of a modern engine like the SBF or SBC. SBF and SBC are essentially the same. It's cheaper and easier to swap a SBC into those early Fords as when those cars were more popular SBC was cheaper to build and had more aftermarket parts available hence most conversion parts were made for that engine, and a trend was set. Maybe it's a regional thing, but it's pretty rare to see a SBC in a 50s-70s Ford around here and there are far more of those at shows and cruise nights than 30s-40s hot rods.