Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ford, Indmar, and Supra

Unless the Ford engine is far and above superior to the GM I see it as a lose lose for everybody except maybe Ford. The dealer will have to double up on parts inventory or wait for special orders to arrive. The mechanics will have to learn a totally new system with all its problems to discover. The buyer will have to put up with everything associated with being new and different and most likely pay more for it because of lower volume being produced. In 89 when I bought my Supra the GM 350 was an option even though I would rather push a Chevy than drive a ford I went with the Ford 351 . The main reason was {There is safety in numbers} better to have a common engine with expertise and parts available than to take a chance on the low production combo that most shops will only see once in a blue moon. I don't see problems with the GM engines the problems they do have are problems caused by Indmar Cats and fuel pump to name a couple.

why, why??? Already went though this on CCfan haha. GM LS motors are unbelievably common. Cheap, many aftermarket parts. Much more proven than any of fords late motors. The Modular motors have so many problems... Their new motors have a lot to make up for, and no one has seen what problems they have yet. Someone on CCFan suggested using the eco boos motor. NO!!! The eco boost motor, on a stress test for normal towing conditions, is worn out at 80K miles!!! NOT COOL! Also, the 5L cyote motor. haha, doesn't make that 420hp up until 7,000 RPM!! The Chevy 480HP LS3 makes its HP at 5,500 RPM! Great for a boat! What Indmar, PCM and all of them SHOULD have done is, get the new 6.4L Dodge Hemi which makes a whopping 525HP, I bet you could easily get more with no emissions
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

I would say a clean diesel like in German cars would be a good set up. I also think the cost would be prohibitive.

Sorry I was late getting home from the lake.... The engine started its regen cycle just as I hit the dock.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I would say a clean diesel like in German cars would be a good set up. I also think the cost would be prohibitive.
    Been wanting something like this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
    why, why??? Already went though this on CCfan haha. GM LS motors are unbelievably common. Cheap, many aftermarket parts. Much more proven than any of fords late motors. The Modular motors have so many problems... Their new motors have a lot to make up for, and no one has seen what problems they have yet. Someone on CCFan suggested using the eco boos motor. NO!!! The eco boost motor, on a stress test for normal towing conditions, is worn out at 80K miles!!! NOT COOL! Also, the 5L cyote motor. haha, doesn't make that 420hp up until 7,000 RPM!! The Chevy 480HP LS3 makes its HP at 5,500 RPM! Great for a boat! What Indmar, PCM and all of them SHOULD have done is, get the new 6.4L Dodge Hemi which makes a whopping 525HP, I bet you could easily get more with no emissions

While I don't disagree with anything you said… you never mentioned the actual Ford motor they WILL be using - the 6.2L block from the Raptor. As far as aftermarket performance parts, not too many people go full tuner on their tow boat motors. Aftermarket replacement parts… it's a Ford, the parts will be there.

Yes, the newish Ford motor isn't as established as the GM motor… but the GM motor had to start somewhere also.

My final point, anyone who has the coin to buy a brand new tow boat these days, also has the coin to pay to HAVE them repaired, or at least they should. By the time they're 15-20 years old and on the verge of becoming classics… I'm sure the boat mechanic parts-shelf will be full of goodies for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    While I don't disagree with anything you said… you never mentioned the actual Ford motor they WILL be using - the 6.2L block from the Raptor. As far as aftermarket performance parts, not too many people go full tuner on their tow boat motors. Aftermarket replacement parts… it's a Ford, the parts will be there.

Yes, the newish Ford motor isn't as established as the GM motor… but the GM motor had to start somewhere also.

My final point, anyone who has the coin to buy a brand new tow boat these days, also has the coin to pay to HAVE them repaired, or at least they should. By the time they're 15-20 years old and on the verge of becoming classics… I'm sure the boat mechanic parts-shelf will be full of goodies for them.
    All true unless they discontinue the new motor in 1-2 years making parts as rare as moon rocks. There have been a lot of experiments gone bad its always better to stay with the tried and true products and let somebody else be the guinea pig. Especially since the GM 6.2 has a proven track record.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    All true unless they discontinue the new motor in 1-2 years making parts as rare as moon rocks. There have been a lot of experiments gone bad its always better to stay with the tried and true products and let somebody else be the guinea pig. Especially since the GM 6.2 has a proven track record.
    This is true. And I don't mean to be offensive. But. If everyone thought like this we would never advance in technology.
    Competition drives these company's to spend resources on r&d. This r&d is what gave us things life fuel injection. Imagine driving carb cars. I have a couple mustangs and although I don't mind carbs I would not want it in my everyday driver. I think the 6.2 is here to stay. And maybe not... But are we content to stick with the "old reliable" forever and never advance?