Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My boat - reminiscing

With the recent diletion of Ngavdba's posts I have been thinking a lot about this forum. I read the rules for posts, and one of them one that post in all catagories except supra families should be about boats and boating. This one is. I have wanted an Inboard Ski boat since about 1982. I owned a Correct Craft Mustang in the early eighties. It was under powered by a four cylinder Renault engine with twin single barrel carbs. While I had fun with the boat it sucked for skiing and any other water sport activity. I would see the guys with the Ski Nautiques having way more fun, that 8 cylinder seemed the way to go.

So when my wife and I started boating with some friends a couple years ago, their 6 cylinder I/O reminded me of my old Mustang. We started talking about getting our own boat and I said I was all for it, as long as it could be an Inboard Ski Boat. So I began the search. And quickly found my 1989 Supra Pirata. It was a couple of hours a way in Cleveland. I went to look at it and instantly was in love. I knew it needed work, but was fooled by him into thinking it was a solid boat.

Thinking it was just going to need upholstery I took it to a local shop when I got it home and quickly learned about rotten stringers. I was pretty much in a state of panic. I don't remember how exactly I found this forum, but I did. And while I was panicking I posted about my problems here. And the first person to respond was Ngavdba. He quickly calmed my nerves and assured my that many of the members here have been through the same thing. And he gave me Donny Bennett's phone number. After talking to Donny I was able to patch my boat up enough to gingerly make it through my first year leaving the stringers alone.

All through last year I was quite envious of all the boats that had already been done. And when I would talk to friends and family about my supra, I would always tell them about Daniel's boat. I had read most of his posts and was very impressed by how meticulously he had redone his boat. How the boat had been in his family since new. How he had pictures of it through the years. By the garage he built to house it in. How it wasn't just a garage, it was a boat mansion. A place any boat would be happy to call home. All of this detailed and documented on the forum. All of which I spent many hours reading and looking at picture. Showing the pictures to members of my family, and my friends.

Started to feel like I knew him, even though I had barely communicated with him through the forum.

Then I had the opportunity to attend the 2013 Supra Southern Reunion. I had intended on going in 2012, but the stars didn't align for me. But I knew I wasn't going to miss the next one.

Attending that was the highlight of owning my Supra so far. It was very cool seeing so many supras together. Hadn't really seen any other older supra in person on the water. And the T-shirt and stickers that Daniel put together for the event are some of my prize posessions. The couple of days spent together was a blast. The hightlight getting to surf behind a newer supra and helping Daniel learn to surf for the first time.

Some of the other highlights of owning my Supra has been the Wake The World events I have attended with my supra. I learned about those through the forum also.

The many hours my wife and I have spent together on the boat have brought us closer together. And we are looking forward to the years to come and enjoying our boat even more.

And had it not been for this forum and Ngavdba I don't believe things would be quite the same. I was pretty set on taking the Pirata back to the person I bought it off of and telling him what to do with it. Especially after finding a post on here started a year before I bought the boat from someone else that was thinking about going and looking at it.

That being said:

My understanding is that a moderator accidently deleted all of Ngavdba's posts. While Ngavdba may have violated a rule of the forum, I don't believe that the appropriate action was to delete his entire history.

I feel that if this is the case there needs to be a safety measure in place for the moderators. Perhaps it should require two moderators to permanately remove all of someones history. That way this won't happen in the future.

picture1.jpg
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who read all of his posts more than once! Thank you for sharing your story. I also felt like I knew him by reading his posts. He is the one who advised me to start my rebuild with the trailer and hull exterior. I'm not sure I would have done that, but I'm glad he chimed in.

Because we all like pics here is one of his that I saved before deletion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total bummer, my first thought was he was a mod and deleted his own posts, turns out he was erased by someone else. Crazy situation, I hope it can be resolved.

Accidental or on purpose, deleting that many posts is an action that destroys a message board by making VERY valuable information unavailable or difficult to follow. This highlights the need for us to start our own community. It's not like supra listens to any of us or participates anyway...

I'm very disappointed.

I am all for us starting our own. Thought about starting an inboard ski boat club or association.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Nautique has a separate independent forum called CorrectCraftFan. It caters to the older Correct Craft boats and works in conjunction with Planet Nautique . A lot of the members are on both forums . Its funny that the mid 40s and up crowd on CCF are so active in the sport compared to the younger owners with newer boats. I think the same can be said here the guys with the older boats are a lot more active on the forum and are a lot more likely to join in with group functions and get togathers. The Moomba guys are a lot more active than the Supra guys I wonder why that is?

It's a twofold reason. The first being that moobas are a little cheaper and more accessible so there are more owners, the other is that this forum isn't run as well as compared to forums that thrive well that I am a part of.

Wiping out a member like this is totally not acceptable. I am not aware of how or why things came to this point but in my own opinion the moderator acted foolishly. Ngavdba has been a long term member on this forum and knows these boats inside out and backwards. Deleting him removes so much relative information from the site which others use. His actions might of not followed the forum guidelines but .....

THE MODERATORS ACTIONS HAVE PUNISHED EVERYONE AND REMOVED A WEATH OF KNOWNEDGE WHICH CAN NOT BE REPLACED!!!!!

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Yup, my sentiments exactly. If...and it's a big if, someones actions deserve banishment, so be it, but removing content ruins the forum for everyone else. I have to believe that this was an error...and I also have to believe that there is a backup. However the chance of hearing from an admin around here is slim to none.

Perhaps we should all wait till this issue is resolved by Administrator and stop posting on www.SUPRABOATS.COM

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....