Default Vdrive oil missing???

Weird issue I have never seen. I changed all fluids last spring and monitored throughout the season with no issues with loss at any point. Changed the oil and filter in the fall and left the trans and vdrive until this spring. I got a 50 degree day today so I decided to crank the boat for awhile. After I ran it I checked everything and vdrive is bone dry. Any ideas where the oil could have gone? The bilge isn't oily.

The bigger question is was the vdrive light on above idle
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Yep the light stays on.

Default Vdrive oil missing???

Does it have a cooler or does water run through the vdrive box? If so u might have a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by pctarmor View Post
    Yep the light stays on.
    The light is suppose to go off over about 900 rpm , did you notice that it has not been going off? So up until now the light had always been going off? Maybe you drained it and and forgot to refill it?????
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

It must have leaked out or I suppose if you had a small leak in the cooling chamber it could have been sucked out. I would take a paper towel to the bottom of the vdrive to see if there is any oil on it. If its dry then you could pressure test the cooling chamber. But I would fill it up again and then check the level every time you run the boat and watch the red light to see that it goes off
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

Walter V-drives are notorious for slow leaks at the output shaft seal. The good thing is that they are so bulletproof that it'd probably outlast your boat anyway, even if you never put oil in it again. (only half kidding) Refill it and check it somewhat regularly.
    Last edited by tracetrimble; 12-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks guys. I think I'll top it back off and monitor closely. At least I don't have to change it this year!

Quote Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
    Walter V-drives are notorious for slow leaks at the output shaft seal. The good thing is that they are so bulletproof that it'd probably outlast your boat anyway, even if you never put oil in it again. (only half kidding) Refill it and check it somewhat regularly.
    I definitely agree with this. Mine had this and the only way I knew was I had a DDS and I keep my bilge spotless. It was leaking but my level wasn't changing. Had it the vdrive replaced and I occasionally get some oil on the floor but never to the point I even noticed a loss on the dipstick. I get the occ drop of TF on the underside of my tranny but still never any change on the dipstick. I keep mine at the top of the level range so I think it's just venting residue when hot slow speed surfing due to the listing. Jmo
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug