Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: head units

Default head units

Im looking at new head units for my boat ill have the 6 speakers in the boat plus a sub and 2 tower speakers hopefully all amped. Anyone have any ideas of good head units ive always had pretty good luck with sonys. Id like to find one with blue tooth.

Eric,

The marine options with built-in BT are slim, but there are a number if external BT receivers available that will connect via the head-units AUX input. There are quite a few automotive head-units with built-in BT, but many will not support the marine remotes.

With six in-boats, you will need an amp.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I installed the Clarion M502 last season.
    http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...559425482.html

Very pleased with it. Bluetooth works great for streaming audio and placing / accepting calls. Having the phone ring thru the speakers thie first time was a little startling... Siri works great too, if you're an iPerson.
    I also added this remote to my dash to make things even easier. All works great!
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020MW1/...9877425&awdv=t

I have had two Clarion's.....CMD7 and the 8. Those are my preferences.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

I've done a lot of the M502 and M303's from Clarion.

Another option is a WS-420 pre-amp, with their bluetooth input device. You would also have a second source input, and could use a 3.5mm auxiliary dash-mounted device.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

I installed the Clarion marine last season with the wired, digital remote commander. I really like the setup but the water proof commander it's so un-waterproof it's pitiful. I ended up taking it apart and sealing it up myself. I like the system though. of options but not to complicated.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Are marine stereos and speaks really necessary ? i can see the sun being pretty hard on the speakers but the head unit is in the dash with a cover over it already.

if you want stern controls you have to get a marine version. If you don't then it isn't a concern.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

You can go without being marine grade, but if you're caught out in a storm, or the boat is in the rain, the cover could possibly leak.

Cornrickey, I've had one of those wired display Clarion remotes in a Can Am Commander before, and it was pressured washed once a week. Remote never failed or showed signs of moisture.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1687 View Post
    Are marine stereos and speaks really necessary ? i can see the sun being pretty hard on the speakers but the head unit is in the dash with a cover over it already.
    Marine head-units will have a conformal coated PCD and other more nobal metals to resist corrosion. Many have a stainless steel chassis as opposed to a typical stamped steel. The displays on most marine units are easier to see in the sub as opposed to an automotive head-unit.

Marine speakers may have an enclosed magnet to reduce exposure to the elements (rusting), tinned terminals and UV inhibitor in grill coating, surround and cone material. They will also be 100% composite cone as opposed to a laminated paper. Many of the top-shelf marine speakers also have a composite basket as opposed to stamped steel.

Although I have no issue with non-marine subs and amps when the application permits, I recommend marine head-units and speakers as they tend to get the most exposure to the elements.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio