Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: head units

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1687 View Post
    Im thinking about redoing the whole system in my 01 launch the 6 speakers in the boat plus a sub and 2 real nice tower speakers what would be the best set up such as kind of speakers sub and tower speakers? amp set up ? also im planning on putting in an extra battery and beefing up the alternator.
    For in-boats, I like to suggest a true marine speaker as the in-boats seem to take the brunt of the splash and direct sun light. There are tons of quality built marine in-boats, all with their own look, sound and price range. Getting a chance to demo them is a huge plus, but theres hardly any "bad" choices.

Subs, all it takes is a mild 10" woofer with a little bit of power to fill in those missing low end notes that the small in-boats will not reproduce. So unless you are a bass-head or listen a lot of hip-hop, a big sub with tons of power is not needed. So its really up to your personal preference. The best sub is the one done right. Cost wise, theres typically not much price difference between a 10 and a 12 within the same brand and model and they can typically be driven with the same amp power. So if space permits, the extra surface area of a 12 can be a plus. But the boat will typically drive the shape and size of the enclosure, thus influencing the the driver choice.

Tower speaker will fall into to main categories, projecting to wake range with an HLCD or near-field sound quality for surfing or party cove listening with a traditional coax. The best compromises are going to come from the larger HLCD,s like an 8" or 10", or something like the 6 pod Kicker "6-Pack" which has 4 6.5" mid-bass drivers and 2 horns. The tower setup will typically consume the majority of the budget. So figuring out what your primary and secondary listening goals are, will help get you down the right path.

Amps. I strongly suggest Class-D amp for the efficiency and small footprint. Once all the speakers and subs are chosen, the amps will fall inline. Dont overlook adequate cabling and circuit protection and all the other install incidentals that go along with the install.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    Lot's of reasons. Primarily, sound quality. MP3 is a low quality format, and I for one refuse to pay a buck for one song with degraded sound quality. Granted, outdoors in a boat, sound quality is not going to be your main concern, but for those of us who don't do MP3s the radio and CD are our only sources.
    Higher bitrate mp3's are not all that bad, especially outdoors and there are other lossless formats. Physical media in a boat or a car just makes no sense to me anymore.

I'll just say that we had a mid 90's car stereo in our Supra with car speakers from early 2000's and it worked great until last summer. Best CD player we ever had, super scratched disk, no prob. It was JVC. Two of the speakers wouldn't work so I tore apart the unit and re-soldered a bunch of joints and got 3 of the 4 working... Tried fixing it again but ended up ruining it Ordered a new Pyle Marine radio and the 4th speaker still didn't work, turns out the speaker wire was crap. ERRR The car stereo barely had any corrosion on it and still worked fine, sad that I ruined it. The Pyle doesn't play CD's as good... The speakers are still in good shape and work fine, even though they cheap best buy coaxial car speakers. And that comp has been put away wet, baked in the Texas heat under full sun with the cover on (yes, it got extremely hot in there), and sat out during the winter for 8 years. Now its stored in our barn like it used to be.

And for our Martinique, all 4 of the cheap original kenwoods were completely rotted out and the tape deck had no guts haha. In 2012 we installed a Crunch 1600W x 4 channel car amp, Pyle PLCD33MR Marine Radio and Kenwood car 2-way 4x10's in the back and kenwood car 5-way 6x9's in the front. They are treated cone woofers placed above where they would get soaked by water and after 2 summers so far in great shape. Also, even with no sub, system sounds amazing. Blows away the $2,000 Blose system in our 2007 Chevy Suburban, for only a $300 budget build! (goes to show how much bose sucks! haha)
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Got word on Friday that JVC will be releasing the marine KD-X31MBS head-unit and there will be a marine wired remote for it as well. It is a digi media player, so no CD/DVD player, but it will have built in BT and is SAT ready. Works with Pandora and iHeart. One thing about it that doesnt appeal to me is the front USB and AUX.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Mike, do you carry JVC in your store? I'm expanding, and considering carrying them. I already sell Kenwood, and will have Alpine. Ive been kicking around Sony or JVC. Just wondering how well the JVC line does in car also.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

One of my distributors carries JVC. I dont typically do cars/trucks, so I dont install any other head-units other then marine in boats. We have used a few JVCs over the years for those rare occasions when I will do a car or truck for a friend or good boat customer and have had good results.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio