Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Pass

Default Perfect Pass

Well Christmas is over so its time for boating season to resume! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Perfect Pass this year. I've been looking around at where I want to mount the control head and right now I don't like any of the options. I like my dash the way it is and don't really want to do something that looks like an add on. Last week a friend suggested that I take out the tach and mount it there. His observation was that it is rarely used and wouldn't be missed. I'll admit that I don't use it much either unless my speedos are plugged up. I'd really be interested in hearing about and seeing pics of what others have done.
    1991 SunSport

Assuming you have duell Speedos. Remove one. PP is a Speedo and I never use my analog one due to the pp. I would not remove your tach
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I do have duel speedos and I had them both redone by this guy: classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/gauges.html They are beautiful and even though the pp head is a nice and useful thing, it will never look as cool, classic, and symmetrical as the two classic old units that sit there now. Classic Boat works has some way of making your old Airguide speedo into a GPS speedo. It has a receiver inside that will drive the mechanical needle. It looks cool and stock but is still not a pp head unit.
    1991 SunSport

No way around it if you want it to look like it belongs but also have a nice period looking 80s dash. Personally I just replaced one of my speedometers. I suppose you could remove a speedometer and move the tach there then put PP where the tach was. Would keep the main dash more correct looking. I would not remove the tach, yeah PP has a digital tach but a regular tach anyone can understand and process at a glance is much more useful IMO. Other options may be putting the PP gauge near the throttle, but that would be inconvenient to see and use. Another options would be making your own dash panels and layout as you please but try to keep it looking period correct. Kinda shot though when the PP gauge is digital.

I'm a purist and like to keep any improvements or upgrades out of sight but fact of the matter is PP is the single best thing you can do to your boat. Good thing is it's easily reversible, keep the speedometer you remove and you can always return to original.

I guess if you don't want to replace a speedo with it and you want your dash to stay original then PP isn't a option. It needs to be as accessible as any of you gauges to be applicable.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Do you know this one ?

http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

I probably will go for this instead of PP on my Saltare (maybe next year). Cheaper and much more complete with more options IMO
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Oh, they are doing gps now, sweet. What are the additional features that you like?

It looks like Hydrophase is ahead in the feature department. The only thing I don't see is Zero Off for running a slalom course or am I just missing that? Also, the Hydrophase units with GPS are within a hundred dollars or so of the Perfect Pass product that can be upgraded to Zero Off.

I think you are all right in saying I'll have to replace one speedo with the head unit. There just doesn't seem to be another way. One of the cool things about Perfect Pass is that I can get a head unit that has the Supra logo
    1991 SunSport

The PP shows the speed and the RPM all of the time , GPS clock when the system is off just for a start. There is a pic of my dash in my forum photo album.

Hagman, that is a good looking dash, I like that you have kept your speedos and you are correct of course, either of the units mentioned show the RPM all the time. Even though I have been looking at them for some time I spaced out on that! LOL I like your set up, thanks for pointing that out.
    1991 SunSport