Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 83 Supra Beast !! 454 engine over heated, now ticking- Help!

Hi everyone!! Here's what I have going on.. I've owned my Supra Beast for 14 years now, and have completely restored it twice.. Last fall my impeller failed and the engine got way to hot and now its 'ticking'.. Its definitely not knocking, so I'm hoping It can be delt with without pulling the engine.. Has anyone here delt with this problem before?? What am I to expect? Thanks for ANY information or experiences..
    -Brian

Ticking or higher pitched sounds are typically top end. Lower pitched knocking or thumping is typically bottom end. Could be a lifter/rocker/valve problem. How hot did it get? Any water in the oil? Any metal or shiny particulates in the oil? My first step would be try to figure out which side it's on and pull a valve cover to inspect.

No water in the oil, and the engine got hot enough to smell. the temp gauge was pinned... I did take the cover off and it sounds like the ticking is coming from the rear passenger cylinder. I tried to adjust the valve lash and in order to stop the ticking, i have to tighten the bolt so much it makes the engine run rough. I'm thinking bent valve stem?? or ?? .. Would it be common for the cam to be ruined?? I'm hoping I dont have to pull the whole engine....
    Last edited by darflinger; 01-24-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Is it running OK? Compression? It's not the most far-fetched idea in the world that it was ticking before but you didn't notice it or pay attention. A mechanics scope and a leak-down test can tell you a lot....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

If I recall, the compression was fine, but I never did a leak-down test.. Ticking definitely started when it overheated , and its definitely coming from #7. engine has lost alot of power. Which make me think a cam lobe might be worn down as well??
    Last edited by darflinger; 01-24-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Temp gauge was pinned at what temp? It got at least how hot? 230* is where damage starts to happen.

General loss of power could be rings losing tension, very likely from a bad overheat. Do a compression test and post your numbers. Since you said you did a compression test previously, post those numbers too. If engine still runs fairly smooth just a lot less power I'd suspect fairly uniform loss of compression and not just a single valve having a problem. Could be cam wiping a lobe or bend pushrod, also possibly bent valve but less likely. Though at high temps parts expand and clearances decrease. Oil also breaks down and offers much less lubrication or will coke on surfaces reducing clearances.

Sounds like you've identified bad valve componenents that won't take up lash. You take out lash enough to quiet it down and valve hangs open causing a misfire. Pull the pushrod and check for straightness. Inspect rocker fulcrum for abnormal wear. Inspect valve tip for abnormal wear. Try to get an idea if valve stem may be bent but this can be hard to tell without removing it or at least getting the spring and retainer off. If nothing obvious there, you may have wiped that cam lobe. You'll have to pull the intake and inspect that lifter to get a better idea if you find no obvious issues with the other parts. Hot oil breaking down and not lubricating, could have begun to seize that lifter or valve damaging the cam. Is it an intake or exhaust valve that is making noise?

It would not surprise me if the cam is wiped, but I wouldn't just straight to that as the sole issue.

Most auto engines today run normally at 220-230 I doubt you caused any internal damage to the engine without melting the rubber hoses first. I would guess a bad lifter is the culprit. Some engines have large enough holes in the heads to allow sneaking in a new lifter without pulling the intake. If the cam is rounded I would think it was due to poor oil quality and thinning with the higher heat. If you pull the lifter you will see damage on the bottom where it contacts the cam that will indicate a bad cam. If its clean and not damaged so is the cam.

I wonder if it tuliped a valve
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Most auto engines today run normally at 220-230
    Care to name a few?

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Care to name a few?

Sure pretty much all of them.

Typical thermostats are 190-205*F on modern cars. This sets the minimum operating temps. On a hot day under load you could easily end up higher. A typical 50/50 water antifreeze mix and typical system pressure around 15psi will be stable up to 250*F. At that temp you should not be doing any damage to anything, its not as ideal as running at 200 but still should not cause any serious issues.