Default slalom skiing behind ssv

I'm looking at buying a 2009 supra 22 ssv and i like to take out the ski once or twice a year how is this boat to ski behind I'm not doing a course just free skiing

96Comp Guest

Based on the frequency you intend to ski, it will be fine. I suspect you spend more time wakeboarding or perhaps carrying more than 5-6 people. It is hard to find a really good boat that does it all well.

Should be aware that both open water skiing and skiing a large wake both ruin your slalom form, should you ever decide to try the course. Open water and large wake skiers tend to slow at the wake and then continue the pull outside the second wake. Bad form for the course. A tow boat wake is much easier to cross while holding the edge across the second wake and then carve back to the ball.

On the other hand if you are a wakeboarder, the soft slalom wake does nothing for you. We turned our tow boat into a hybrid by adding a tower. My son is happy because he can wakeboard (250 lbs fat sac on back seat) and - yes - he can do a back roll. A few wakeboard coaching sessions from a pro helped. We focused on how to use a small wake. As for carrying more than 5 people... Well two will have to be behind the boat!

Enjoy your new purchase. You'll be fine!

[QUOTE=96Comp;104759]Based on the frequency you intend to ski, it will be fine. I suspect you spend more time wakeboarding or perhaps carrying more than 5-6 people. It is hard to find a really good boat that does it all well.

I couldn't agree more with 96Comp. My two cents anyway, but I've had the pleasure of skiing behind the new Nautique 200 / Mastercraft 14 Prostar and although I could probably get another buoy or so behind those small wakes, when I ski behind my 21V ( although I still get laughs that I take my tug boat through the course ) my frame of mind is the same. And that is to enjoy skiing, focus on body position and don't even focus on the wakes. I say that but I do ski at 32+ and the wake is smaller.

But your free skiing at 27/28 mph will be just fine. You won't regret it. My wife learned to slalom behind our boat last year and I am teaching both kids to ski behind the boat ( ages 1 and 3 ) .

There is no boat that does it all, as stated above, ski boats have no room for family gear, surf boards, on board potty ( yes I have one ), so if there was ever a great crossover, the Supra line and the SSV would be a good choice.

This year I'll have to post some vids of the Launch going through the course. I think most would be surprised at how well this boat does through the balls. My wife took one practice pass driving down the course for me, and the very next pass I hit my personal best -15 / 32 mph. The boat tracked well and took very little driver input.

Great boat the SSV.

John Young, Supra Launch 21V
    Apex, NC

[QUOTE=SupraLaunch21V;104770]
    Quote Originally Posted by 96Comp View Post
    Based on the frequency you intend to ski, it will be fine. I suspect you spend more time wakeboarding or perhaps carrying more than 5-6 people. It is hard to find a really good boat that does it all well.

I couldn't agree more with 96Comp. My two cents anyway, but I've had the pleasure of skiing behind the new Nautique 200 / Mastercraft 14 Prostar and although I could probably get another buoy or so behind those small wakes, when I ski behind my 21V ( although I still get laughs that I take my tug boat through the course ) my frame of mind is the same. And that is to enjoy skiing, focus on body position and don't even focus on the wakes. I say that but I do ski at 32+ and the wake is smaller.

But your free skiing at 27/28 mph will be just fine. You won't regret it. My wife learned to slalom behind our boat last year and I am teaching both kids to ski behind the boat ( ages 1 and 3 ) .

There is no boat that does it all, as stated above, ski boats have no room for family gear, surf boards, on board potty ( yes I have one ), so if there was ever a great crossover, the Supra line and the SSV would be a good choice.

This year I'll have to post some vids of the Launch going through the course. I think most would be surprised at how well this boat does through the balls. My wife took one practice pass driving down the course for me, and the very next pass I hit my personal best -15 / 32 mph. The boat tracked well and took very little driver input.

Great boat the SSV.
    question about this as I am considering a 2007 22SSV and I ski at 36MPH maybe down to 34MPH on a course. I have heard this boat can't go that fast 32 is gonna suck as I would feel like I'm sinking

Depending on prop and crew/weight, I ski at 32, but not competitively.
    Ours will hit 45 max.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"