Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Yeah, without the walking foot its nearly impossible.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

I finally got some time to work on the comp after a month and a half of work and family issues. I removed all the fiberglass on the bottom of the hull they used to try to laminate the new stringers to the old ones . What a mess , It would be easier if they had not tried to fix it. Well its all cleaned up and I started fitting the new stringers. I got the port side main and engine mounting structure cut and layed out . Lots of scribing and cutting but I am happy with the results the floor will fit perfect contacting each stringer as it should. I will have some time tomorrow I should be able to finish the port side .

Looking great Michael. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but it makes me chuckle a little every time I see your thread subject - "fluff and buff." I can relate to starting a "small" project and suddenly it's a major overhaul.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Yea kinda like just freshening up an engine? The way I look at it is the end product always makes it worth the struggle. This was supposed to be my low budget I don't care beater boat . When I am done it will become another cherished high maintenance member of my stable . It will get all the TLC the others get.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 06-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Default My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    This was supposed to be my low budget I don't care beater boat . When I am done it will become another cherished high maintenance member of my stable . It will get all the TLC the others get.
    I see you subscribe to the school of thought "Go big, or go home" with all monohull boats.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 06-08-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Its been a while summer and that pesky work thing keeps getting in the way. The in last couple weeks I have made some progress. I cut the starboard side main and ground down the floor for the new stringers. I epoxied all stringers down and now I am ready for the fillets I should be glassing by the end of the week.

Looks good Michael, Stringers look solid. Have you decided if your going to reform or not?
    [SIGPIC]

I am leaning towards using 2'' blue foundation insulation boards . It can be cut to fit each cavity and still leave a little space next to the hull for water drainage.

I think that's a great idea! I'll probably never do mine, but I always thought that would be the way I'd do it. Blue foam is closed cell so it won't absorb water, and the density means it'll support the floor much better than pour in place would.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I am leaning towards using 2'' blue foundation insulation boards . It can be cut to fit each cavity and still leave a little space next to the hull for water drainage.
    Everything looks great Michael, very impressive work!

I think that is a great idea with the foam boards. I know a couple of members also did a small drain through the stringers to allow water back into the centre. Were you planning on that too? That's one item I wish I did.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt