Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry

Well it started as a reseal clean and paint on the engine and trans. All went well rear main with sleeve front trans seal and pump gasket new oil drain gasket no more oil leaks. A little paint some new stickers and we are good to go?

I started looking at the bilge, carpet and floor . The floor and stringers were supposedly done 7 years ago but it didn't look right to me . I started stripping the carpet and with every inch it just got worse. The floor is a cobbled up array of pieces . They used 3/4 '' plywood it looks like they cut the floor about 4'' from the sides of the hull so they wouldn't have to glass the new floor to the sides . Instead they spliced the new floor to what was left on the sides . They didn't meet quite right but that's what carpet is for right? After removing some of the plywood it looks like they had problems with stringer height.
    It looks like they used blocks of 2x4s and shims to try to level it out. All in all I think I am actually worse off then if it was just rot. That way I would have something original to go by. I don't know how far I will have to go to undo the hacked up repair much further then I wanted to.

I removed the carpet this is what I found

I went to remove the top cap apparently the noise was dinged they repaired it by glassing the top to the bottom so it had to be cut from the inside

Here you can see how they spliced the main floor to the 4'' piece attached to the side hull.

Here you can see the 2x4s and shims used to prop up the 4'' side piece. The ones in the rear are starting to rot. Ill dig deeper tomorrow.

Default My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry

Good luck with this Michael. Nice chatting with you yesterday, hope I was able to help start you out on the right path.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Same here jet I think I have a few more miles of rough road before I can get to the right path. I think I will go with deep blue carpet instead of the gray. There is so much gray it just gets washed out the blue will be a good contrast.

what a shame, I found a stringer hack job when I pulled up the floor on my comp, it wasn't that big of a deal to me since I was doing the stringers anyway but man it was the worst attempt at stringer repair I have ever seen.

Oh man. Yeah, that's gonna be fun.

This is why I ask so many people who say "stringers and floor have been done" to provide pictures. In my opinion, I don't care if they have or have not. If you can't document the build, or give me the name of the reputable builder so I can see their work, I'm not interested.

Good luck Micheal. I'd definitely go with blue carpet. The colored carpet always looked great on these boats.

Oh, and this is why I have yet to put a two-post in my shop. If I did, the projects I would get myself into would snowball out of control. But if we stay in this house any longer I think I'm gonna have to break down and join the insanity.

love the smell of saturated foam in the morning, lol- not!

maybe there's a small silver lining in that hatchet job...you have the factory floor height intact. that's all you really need. even the factory stringer design was junk since they notched into the main stringers and didn't allow drainage. this is a great opportunity to elevate this boat to the quality of your 'sport. no doubt it will be a solid rebuild once you're done.

I will say though the motor looks great. I may pull mine now that I have my interior out. Did you prep for the paint, or just spray over old? What paint did you use?

Also, where did you get some of those stickers and decals?

I just cleaned the engine removed the manifolds and gave it 2-3 coats of high temp silver. I never intended to make a show boat if not for the oil leaks I would not have done it. I have a friend on the CC forum that specializes in reproducing the OE stickers on old Correct Crafts. Since the engines are the same so are the stickers. I have an extra set of the PCM and Tune up specs found on the valve covers cost is 12.00 for both.