Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I think you are right . Its every owners dream to get away cheap . Every thing I take apart leads to another problem area. I don't see any way to short cut this job especially with you guys watching . Its spring here now and I am so busy I don't see any updates for a few weeks. At least I will have the money to but the materials.

I had a little time to put into the comp this week. It is definitely a full gut job . Even though the motor mount bolts were tight and came out clean it was rot city under the fiberglass.

This is the way it looked before

This is what I found under the glass where the mounts attach.

A close up .

This is why you don't attach new wood to old rot just like in the apple bin one starts to rot and it spreads to the others.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 04-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Eeeeewwwww!

So the PO just added a fresh board when the frame rotted? Classic!

Yes the fact they used construction grade pine didn't help. The lesson learned is even if it looks sounds and acts good you don't know until you take it apart. It looks like the factory never bedded in the stringers? I have been cutting the glass at the top and then cutting one side at the bottom the glass peels off and the stringer comes out in one piece.

This is one of the secondary stringers I'm using as a pattern for the new one.

What wood material are you going back with?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

2x6 and 2x8 Fur coated with CPES [ Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer]and then epoxied in. 5/8 Marine plywood for the deck.

Default My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry

Very nice. I used that CPES stuff when I rebuilt mine. I guess it works good - never really tested it. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Any chance this is what you'll bring to the reunion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I talked to the owner of Rot Doctor he said you can reuse rotten wood by coating it with CPES . It will penetrate and bond with the rot then harden it is supposed to be stronger than the original wood. I am hoping to complete by July but its not looking good right now .I don't want to rush it and with 4 boats it dosnt have to be done anytime soon.

The work continues I finally got the main stringer out it looked like they poured about a qt of glass under where the engine mounts . If they would have sanded the hull and used a better grade of wood I would be in real trouble getting it out.

When they sistered the new wood to the old one it wasn't high enough so they just raised it to be even with the old rotten stringer.
    There was about an inch gap at the hull.

When I separated the stringers the new one was well on its way gone. They never treated the new wood just glassed over the top of it.

Now that the main is out I will build the new one in one piece and then add on to form the engine mount area.

It's looking so much better already! Truly enjoying the pics as you go.