Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default where to find 351 harmonic balancer

Searched Google, searched this forum, can't seem to find a source. The rubber is shot in mine and I messed it up worse when I was removing it. I read that they are narrower than an automotive balancer and trying to use an automotive balancer would throw off the pulley alignment for the belts.
    '87 Super Comp, 408W stroker motor

Where did you read that? I have the 351 out of my comp now . I have inspected it completely and it looks to me to be a stock Ford engine with a few bolt on marine components.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Where did you read that? I have the 351 out of my comp now . I have inspected it completely and it looks to me to be a stock Ford engine with a few bolt on marine components.
    Well it worked fine when I converted my 351w into an engine in my Jeep. I do have a custom belt pulley set up though. But as the for belt itself, other than length (added power steering pump) it's the same width.

It came up in the Mastercraft forums when I was searching Google. Says "3/4 inch thickness instead of 1 inch, and 28 oz not 50 oz"

I checked the 84 351 i have on the stand its 3/4''. I don't believe PCM changes the crank , flywheel or damper when they marinize an engine. The damper is there to help balance the crank you cant change the weight without effecting the balance of the crank. Summit has a stock small block ford damper for 60.00
    Stop listening to that other forum they are evil.

Noted, thanks for the information haha

Yeah, just order appropriate imbalance from Summit and call it a day. I doubt you'll have alignment issues, and even if you were out by 1/4" that's not a huge misalignment and you may be able to get a minor misalignment like that dialed in with a few washers if need be.

X2 on the above, I was looking in my garage for a spare balancer. I'm in the process of building a 331 stroker from a Ford small block 302 base. I thought I have some extras around.

Would the 351 / 302 balancer be the same? Cranks might be different, but I thought these were interchangable.

Do you want me to search and send one to you if I find it?

John Young, Supra Launch 21V
    Apex, NC

Got one ordered from Summit. They have one balancer for all the Ford small blocks.

No, there are two imbalances for SBF. Your 351w is 28 oz imblanace as are all early SBF engines (260, 289, 302). I forget the exact year but at some point around 1980 they changed the 302 to a 50 oz imbalance. Cheaper to hang weight on each end than to get closer to internal balance. 351w remained 28 oz imbalance through the end of production ('97 I believe). Just make sure you've got a 28 oz imbalance as Summit does sell 50 oz balancers and flywheels. Also be sur you've got the correct mounting for your crank pulley, either 3 or 4 holes.
    Last edited by cadunkle; 02-03-2014 at 09:27 AM.