Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mine did the same thing. Ceaning the carb was a huge difference, as well as updating to the new thread on water seperator. I finally put a different cam and heads on it and went to a 13X12.5 3 blade and could pull 44. Also, where you have the wakeplate set can affect up to a mile per hour. Since then I have done some more upgrades and can get over 50 at 4800. If you have any questions et me know.

Jason
    87 comp
    87 comp
    Rousch Racing Heads
    Howards Cam
    Headers w/ 4" Exhaust
    Dual plane intake
    Holley 750 4bbl
    Borg Warner 1.5:1
    412 hp

Default removal of supertrapps?

I have an '88 TS6m Comp that had the supertrapps removed - I was told by a reliable mechanic that it is dangerous to leave those off and operate the boat. The concern is water backing up into the exhaust pipes and into the engine. I noticed that PoolGuy recommended to leave them off (and left his off) - any problems?

rssmithwick, your boat would have to be half sunk before water got into the motor from the exhaust. Just look at how high your risers are at the motor -- that's how far your boat woud have to be under water for it to backflush into the motor. If you're still worried about water getting into you motor buy some of those rubber flappers to give you a free flowing exhaust. If you're in fresh water make sure there aren't any muskrats near by -- they eat rubber like candy and you'll have to be buying new ones every month.

Default Top Speed in a '89 TS6M

Thanks for the info OUI - I appreciate it! I guess it was just bad information from a not-so-good mechanic!

The flappers DO have a purpose. They are there in case the engine backfires. When it truly backfires, it actually turns the motor in reverse. That CAN suck water right into the cylinders through the riser, manifold, and exhaust valves. When a backfire happens, the suction pulls the flapper up against the exhaust outlet and stops water from coming in

Yall may be talking about something else though.

OUI. LOL, the muskrats used to try and nest up in the exhaust of my folks' 26' Trojan cruiser they had in the early 80's

DKJ

When I went to synthetic oil in my '90, I got 2-300 more RPMs which got me a couple more MPH and sustained speed. I had always consistently hit 40 or 41 unless the water was "unfootable", but with the synthetic lubricants I hit 42 or 43 depending on water. I also used the synthetic tranny fluid. Amsoil is what I use.

I have not seen the stainless caps, mine also has the rubber flappers & I agree completely in regards to leaving them in place. Not only the point about backfiring but consider when your comming down off speed. As you slow down the water behind your boat is moving faster than you are & is going right up the tailpipes... I wouldnt risk it.

Hi there, you mentioned something about converting to electronic ignition. I just bought an '87 ts6m with the PCM Ford 351 motor, do you have any brand or package suggestions for that setup? The motor also has a Holly carb that at this time needs rebuilding as it doesn't run right. I bought from the 2nd owner, and he knows the 1st owner and thinks that the 1st owner replaced the carb to "upgrade" or get more power, which having owned several inboard ski boats I know that won't aid in top speed. Frankly, I think the carb could even be factory stock, BUT, if it were yours, would you invest in changing to a marine EFI conversion, and if so is there a clear choice for that? Or just stick with a carb and rebuild and maintain? Thx much, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ATXts6m View Post
    Hi there, you mentioned something about converting to electronic ignition. I just bought an '87 ts6m with the PCM Ford 351 motor, do you have any brand or package suggestions for that setup? The motor also has a Holly carb that at this time needs rebuilding as it doesn't run right. I bought from the 2nd owner, and he knows the 1st owner and thinks that the 1st owner replaced the carb to "upgrade" or get more power, which having owned several inboard ski boats I know that won't aid in top speed. Frankly, I think the carb could even be factory stock, BUT, if it were yours, would you invest in changing to a marine EFI conversion, and if so is there a clear choice for that? Or just stick with a carb and rebuild and maintain? Thx much, Michael
    There are several electronic conversions available. Pertronix is one, SKIDIM has 1 that they sell, If I was doing it all over I think I would go with a DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) distributer for simplicity. If you don't know anything about the carb I think your best bet is a new Holley marine carb, best investment I ever made to my boat.
    agetech
    89 Comp
    Restored to "Better than New"