Thread: Amp help!

Default Amp help!

First off i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Anyway... I've got an 84 rider that im freshening up for the upcoming season. Im adding 4 polk db tower speakers and am curious if there is an amp out there that can run my 6 inboats and the 4 tower speakers or will I have to run 2 amps? Thanks in advance!
    1984 RIDER, PCM 454, NEW DIMENSIONS TOWER AND TONS OF WORK TO COME.

You're best served with a 4 chnl amp to drive the 6 in-boats and a dedicated 2 chnl to drive the 4 tower speakers. The two main reasons is that a tower speaker typically needs to be powered with more power than whats needed for an in-boat. This is due to the tower speaker speaker up in the air, out of the boat in the open, where the in-boats benefit from the "bath tub" effect of being down in the boat often surrounding the passengers. next is how hard most work the tower setup. Asking a single amp to drive 10 speaker is a pretty hefty task, especially when we want a lot of the tower speakers. 2 amp gives you dedicated power supplies for each speaker setup. There are a few amps that are up to the task, but they are not cheap and they tend to be large. A quality 4 and 3 chnl amp should come in less then those single amp options.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured but in searching the web I stumbled across a couple 6 channel amps though what I found I knew would be slightly underpowered it sparked my curiosity to wondering if there may be something out there that could handle the task. Think I'll just go with a 4 channel and 2 channel setup like you've talked about. Do you have any suggestions on brand perhaps?

Im partial the (in alphabetical order) Arc Audio, JL Audio, Kicker and Wet Sounds amp.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I just happen to have a jl dealer 2 blocks from my shop. I'll give those guys a shout. Thanks again.