Default fuel sender wiring

Just pulled my tank out (88 ts6m) to replace the sender. Noticed that there was a ground wire from the fuel filler neck to absolutely nowhere. It seems like it should connect to the tank, right? And then there's a Black and Red. Those I guess go to the sender. As it was connected when I pulled it out, the black was run from the old sender's bolt hole, to the tab on the tank, back into the wiring harness. Red to the center terminal on the float. The new sender has two terminals. Should the tank be somegrounded to something else other than to the fuel filler?

If it is like my tank the filler line should go to your bolt on the sending unit,black from harness to tab near bolt, and your red from harness to center post. Only I think mine was purple or pink instead of red can't remember colors. The filler line wire I think carries a possible static charge when you first place the nozzle in to fuel neck to the neg side of the battery thus preventing a spark and fire. What I don't understand is if you have a positive charged gas nozzle and you touch it to a negative charged inlet that would produce a spark right? But hey I'm sure whoever thought that the neck filler should be grounded had a reason to wire it that way from the factory. The wiring of fuel components probably want get to many responses on the message board because nobody wants to take responsibility if your boat goes boom. Are there any electrical engineers that can explain grounding the filler neck?