Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ballast 2007 Supra launch 20 SSV

Hi There

I'm new to the boat world and just purchased a 2007 Supra Launch SSV. It came with at 1500lb ballast package. Looking for advice on what I can do to upgrade the ballast weight. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to put ballast bags on the seats but from what I seen it looks like that might not be possible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Greenhorn

I have the same boat. I run an 1100# bag in the surf side locker (removed my cooler). The bag doesn't fill all the way, but it gets pretty full. Run 400# in center locker full and IBS under front bow cushions full. I run the wakeplate about 75% up and 10.8 MPH. This allows me to surf without any human ballast in the boat.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Thank you for the advice! The boat will be getting unwrapped for the season in the next couple weeks. Still ice out on the NH lakes. I will post some pics of my setup once I get the new ballast setup. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Greenhorn

I've got about the same boat as well. I can surf just fine with stock ballast full in center and surf side with some extra human ballast. This boat likes extra weight in the rear. I borrowed a 750lb bag from a buddy and put that half way on the seat/swim deck on the surf side and got a great wave with only a couple other people in the boat.

The guy surfing is factory 400lb bags in rear, with front full and 3 others in boat on surf side (1 being driver). The girl was with the extra 750lb bag with about 5 people in the boat. Definitely get some weight in the rear, then adjust and throw human ballast around towards the front to figure out length. I usually have wakeplate around the same as kev... anywhere from 50-75% up. Not sure on speed since my speedo is broke, but usually im around 2800-3000 RPM on PP with a 14.25x14.5 OJ prop (A must upgrade if you dont have it).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Thanks Mike

Great pics. So I have no idea what's on my boat for a prop. I will definitely investigate and find out what's on the boat. It's in storage about an hour away right now. What does the prop upgrade do? Sorry for the ignorance I'm a rookie.

Thanks Again
    Cyrus

Prop just helps a weighted boat get on plane quicker. Mine came with the 13.7x17.5 or something like that. That prop is more of an all around prop so you still have top end speeds of 44mph or so, but I don't ski much and never barefoot so I don't need that top end. The prop I have now will allow my boat to jump right on plane with full ballast and 10 people on board rather than taking forever to plane out, if it ever would. It's a good prop for mainly surf and wakeboarding.

This boat puts out a very nice wave with the right weight in it. It just needs a lot of weight specifically in the back corner on surf side. Front weight helps with length of the wave. It'll take a while to get the feel of the push and ride without a rope, but my recommendation is to position your front foot closer to the the wave side of the board, and really cut the board into the wave with forward weight. If you're finding you're running into the back of the boat and running really fast towards the platform, shift your weight to the rear of the board and it'll slow you down. From there it's about finding that balance from weight on front or back foot and you'll start riding no rope no problem. A big wave with lots of push always helps too.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Zim; 04-09-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

FYI this is where you'll see what prop you have. The lettering etched around the shaft hole haha

-Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Again Thanks for all the great advice. I truly appreciate it. Will post you back when I find out what I have for a prop.

Cy

Hi Mike

So you were right I have a 13.7 x 17.5 prop. Hitting the internet to get the upgrade prop. My wallet says ouch! But seriously thanks for all the input!

Cy

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Hi Mike

So you were right I have a 13.7 x 17.5 prop. Hitting the internet to get the upgrade prop. My wallet says ouch! But seriously thanks for all the input!

Cy
    It'll be the best upgrade you make. Worth every penny. I'd recommend the prop I have pictured here from OJ. It's a great upgrade.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V