Default Indmar 5.7 starter issues

Hi all,

Have a 2001 Sunsport with the Indmar 5.7 L. Tried to start it up for the first time this weekend, when I turn the key I get a clunk, and then another clunk when I release the key. All of the wiring connections are good, and I can turn the engine over with a pry bar. It sounds like the starter is coming out and hitting the flywheel, but not spinning. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Battery charged up?
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

Quote Originally Posted by ssa View Post
    Battery charged up?
    Yep! Had a trickle charger on it for a while before I tried just to make sure. It's a brand new 1000 CA/750 ish CCA battery

Either a bad connection or the starter is toast. Luckily on our boats everything is so exposed that it's easy to troubleshoot. I'd put the battery straight to the starter with jumper cables to see if it turns over, that way you eliminate everything except the starter itself. If if spins over then you need to find the connection issue, if it doesn't, the starter needs to come out.

In case you're foggy on the details of how to do this, connect the negative lead of the jumper cables to the best clean spot on the body of the starter you can find, usually you can clamp it over the mounting flange or to a mounting bolt. Then connect the positive to the lug on the starter that leads to the starter solenoid. Connect the other end of the negative to the - terminal on the battery then firmly plant the positive to the top of the + post. Don't clamp the positive just hold it firmly on the post. You will get a big spark when you do this, so obvious cautions apply. The engine should spin but not start unless the key is on.

One point, if your starter has the solenoid built on to the starter, you can't do this exact test, but you can connect everything as above and then turn the key, we know the control wiring is working because you hear a clunk so it would still be a good test of your high current connections.

Good luck, keep us posted

Ok, I just looked up your starter and it appears to have the solenoid built in, so the second scenario applies.

Cheers

Try giving your starter a good wack with rubber mallet or something while someones trying to turn it over.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Jumped the solenoid and it fired right up! Really pumped, now I need to get a new solenoid. Oil pressure gauge doesn't seem to work, not sure on temp gauge. I think I read this is a common issue with Faria gauges? Any tips on checking to see if the oil pressure sensor is actually working?
    Thanks!!

Hooray for new issues...replaced the starter solenoid. Now the engine cranks, but it won't fire on any of the cylinders. Can the starter solenoid affect spark? I have a large suspicion that if I put the old solenoid back on, I could get it to fire.

I lied, it was not spark. I could smell fuel, so I didn't think that was the problem. It was getting fuel, just not enough. I must have stirred a bunch of junk up when I filled the gas tank.