Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

One more happy result on carb issues. I finally got mine running smoother than it ever has, and in my case I could have adjusted the floats lower yet again, or...

PUT IN A WEDGE SPACER!

The fuel was dripping through one of the primary boosters and continuing after shut down. I installed two 5 degree spacers to level the carb and bam, the boat purrs like a kitten. I didn't have enough time to drill the spacers and install a vacuum port, so next visit I'll get that done, but WOW what a difference. Skied behind her yesterday, and the driver (beautiful wife) commented on how smooth and powererful the boat felt. Since there is no PCV input to the carb at this point, it is possible it's running better because the PCV was bad, but that wouldn't have affected the fuel dripping problem.

It's a relatively painless and cheap mod, even if you go the expensive route and buy the Holley spacer kit, but I think all these boats should have spacers. You'll fight float level issues all day long until that carb is level. Judging by the number of distributor caps, coils and starter solenoids that were left in the glove box by the PO I don't think this boat has run right in a long time.

they do make 10* wedges so you don't have to deal with 2 5*... These are very popular on CC... Forgot people don't know about them...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    The worse part is the ethanol cost more to produce is bad for everything in an engine and lessens gas mileage but we are forced to use it because of a government agenda.
    If it wasn't heavily subsidized it would never make it in the market place.
    It may start to cease thankfully! The gov't is going to stop subsidizing and as soon as that happens no one is going to pay for it! Its awful. I don't care who you are or what you say!

1-it ruins everything!
    2-you have to burn MORE for the same energy
    3-because of 2 our mpg goes DOWN
    4-because of 3 which is caused by 2 we are producing MORE emissions! (i dont care about this global warming bull crap! anyone remember the global cooling scare!??)
    5-it takes a lot resources to produce, expensive!
    6-raises food prices!
    7-because of 6 it is taking food out of peoples mouths!
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

they do make 10* wedges so you don't have to deal with 2 5*.
    Holley makes a 12* and it comes with all the bits, so it is the best way to go. In my case the Holley (P/N 717-2) was going to be a minimum of $250 delivered, and I couldn't find a supplier for the 10* aftermarket, the pair of wedges I bought through my local auto parts supplier was 100. A bit more fiddling for the install, but as I've been steadily buying stuff for the boat I couldn't see the value of the Holley part. If the holley had come ready with a vacuum port I may have been tempted, but the 2 wedges work very well.

Glad to hear the issue is resolved for the OP - and although this isn't an ethanol issue, carb issues in general have been a constant battle since the introduction of ethanol around here. I run a heavy dose of stabilizer in my fuel for all my small engines, and I keep my 5-gal jug of fuel indoors to keep it in a low-moisture environment.

I would welcome the phase-out of ethanol-blended fuels, we shall see what our legislature can come up with. They don't seem to be able to accomplish much lately. It is quite telling that small planes STILL do not use ethanol-blended fuels, because of the concern for safety. But we get to use it in our boats, yay. It absolutely destroyed fiberglass fuel tanks when it first came out. The resulting mess was extremely expensive for many boat owners... good article from BoatUS here: http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp

Default Weird heat soak problem

Glad you got it running right ! I love when a plan comes together !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    It is quite telling that small planes STILL do not use ethanol-blended fuels, because of the concern for safety.
    Mmmmmm, 100LL...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski