Thread: Marine starter

Default Marine starter

I want to confirm that I do in fact have a marine starter on my 2001 Sunsport. Are there markings on the housing somewhere that would tell me this? Or any other way to visually identify one vs. automotive?

Thanks!

Simply looking at a starter it is difficult to tell one from the other. BUT, the marine starter is sealed to prevent (prevent???) explosions, a very good reason to always run your blower before you crank the engine..
    Sometimes you can see the sealant at joints between the two halves of the starter (motor body and nose).
    I think it should also be stamped "marine"

Default Marine starter

Look for a label and see if you can get a pic?

Figured it out. Removed the starter, and on the back side, it is stamped SAE J1171. It is hard to read, but it is there!

This gives a quick summary of what it is, unless you have access to the SAE standards, then you can read it.

http://standards.sae.org/j1171_200406/

I was going to say, you should look for that printed on the starter. It's printed on a lot of electrical things in boats, but sometimes it's peeled / worn off, or not there at all. The problem there, of course, is that you can't assume it's NOT marine just because the SAE J1171 isn't there. Side note: I think it's commonly mistaken to be a part number.

If you are looking for a new marine starter, you Just said you wanted to verify, but I've been buying starters and alternator's from them for about 6 years now. No not Just for my vehicles and toys but also friends vehicles I fix. Great prices, fast shipping and honestly never had a problem with their products and an outstanding customer service!

www.dbelectrical.com

They sell almost anything electrical for ATV boat car truck pwc tractors etcetera!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk