Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Thermostat and gasket for pcm 454

So i know i need a new gasket for my thermostat in the saltare, so I e-mailed skidim about it. The only stat for a 454 is a "no longer available" stat at $100? Really?

Skidim did have a kit from PCM that ran $130 i believe that converted your housing over to a newer style that used regular automotive thermostats but the page I book marked no longer exists. They've got one for Indmar though that does the same thing that looks like it would hook right up in place of the pcm part. Its 109 and you still have to buy the thermostat but if you need a new one it would be good to never have to worry about getting those high dollar ones again if you can find them.
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

Yes they can be converted, I believe the part skidim sold (maybe still sells?) to convert is just a Mercruiser 454 thermostat housing and uses a normal automotice thermostat you can get for $10 or whatever they go for these days. I recall when I got my 145* PCM 454 thermostat it was about $45 or $75, one or the other... which I thought was pricey but realized they are special so got two in case they ever stopped making them. Ebasicpower sells a 170* that looks to fit that PCM housing. If yours has failed it should work but keep in mind if you run at all in salt or brackish you need to stay 145*-ish to protect your cooling system.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/PLERP026001/PLE3D

I think once it gets to be that "time" on mine, I'll just pull the T-stat.

This question has come up on here before -- I think you can use a regular 454 automotive thermostat in the stock housing. Here's my photo of my housing and I've always just gone to the auto parts store and purchased one for $10. Fits perfectly in the little "groove" in the top of the intake. A little silicone around the bolts and base of the thermostat housing and it's never leaked. Does your housing look different?

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

That does look like it...do they carry the gaskets too?

Default Thermostat and gasket for pcm 454

That's great. I'm going to get one as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Why not buy a sheet of gasket and make a gasket? I did for my comp summer. Bought a new 160* to replace the tired 143* that was stuck at one spot pretty much. Had some gasket material sitting around and make one in just a minute...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Is 180 too hot?

I believe that it is too hot for a PCM 454.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839