Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just bent my prop:(

Just bent my prop on its maiden voyage. I never felt anything and never felt any vibration. I was just washing it the other day and noticed that it was bent. Do you think this is bad enough that I need to repair it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've *carefully* straightened bends like that by heating up the area around the bend and hammering it gently against a hard, flat surface. In fact I've done worse (hammering a prop against pavement with a 2x4) but I can't say I'd recommend it.

If you have NO detectable vibration, I wouldn't go crazy trying to straighten it, but I think it's worth taking off and making it a little more like the other blades if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

That would be my excuse to buy a new prop, have that one repaired and kept as a spare.

Definitely have it repaired. The consequences of not doing so would be much more expensive.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargedC6 View Post
    That would be my excuse to buy a new prop, have that one repaired and kept as a spare.
    I don't know, it actually looks like a brand new prop.

If you can easily get it properly repaired, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    I don't know, it actually looks like a brand new prop.

If you can easily get it properly repaired, do it.
    I'm pretty sure it is a brand new prop, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a spare. I take it you've never hit something in the water and ruined a prop at the beginning of the day? It can be a day saver for sure to have a back up with you.

I have done as others, to save a weekend, took it off, heated it with a torch and gently tapped it flat (lots of heat, and gentle till "good enough"). Then send it in for ~$100 and get it restraightened. We have a local prop repair place.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

If you have the boat insured, check with your agent. I bent a prop last year while my insurance agent, a friend of mine, was out with us. As it turns out, this was covered on my insurance. This company had a deal at the time that if you purchased a new prop, they would repair your old one for free. Here's the website: http://www.propmd.com/propeller-list...1-bore-lh.html

I totally agree with Zim; prop pitch is an important part of the the boat's drive and can really affect other components. Best of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Definitely have it repaired. The consequences of not doing so would be much more expensive.
    With out a doubt fix it.... do as someone else said buy one even if its reconditioned and have yours fixed.... then you have a spare and NO down time

Anyone who never has a prop strike probably doesn't use there boat... happens to everyone
    2012 20SSV

FYI. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...cme-1235-prop/

If you are wanting to make your current prop a spare (assuming you have a 537).