Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steering cable help

My steering was getting harder and harder to operate last year. I just picked up a new cable and helm kit from SKIDIM and wanted to see if any one had an words of wisdom before I started. It looks pretty straight forward, but I have not done one on boat this big. If anyone has done this before, please chime in. I am going to attempt a rudder repair after this, but need to get this in first.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

Did it last year. There are a few posts on this. The easiest way is attach a string to the steering wheel side then pull it out from the rudder end. Attach the string to the new cAble and pull the string till its through. Make sure you have rags handy cause the cable will have grease all over the ends.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

gotchya, yeah I have a steel fish that I use for pulling house wiring though conduit. I have heard its a greasy job too. Thanks! any other pearls of wisdom?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

So I finally changed my helm and steering cable last night. It went extremely smooth except for one little detail that took like half an hour to figure out. The very tip of the steering cable that connects to the turnbuckle on the rudder shaft has a convex end on it. I could not get the pin to go though the cable end and the turnbuckle. Then I realized that the old cable had a flat end providing additional clearance. So I had to grind the end of the cable down flat, and it fit perfectly. Otherwise it was very straight forward. it took all of 30 seconds to push the cable though my bilge to the the required spot. Let me know if anyone else has any questions.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

I'm about to take on this task on an 05 Supra Launch 21v. I'm wondering if its comparable to changing out cables on older models. It seems that Skidim is the place to order the cable. Does anyone else have other/better advice? Thanks.

On our 22' ssv, there are 8 screws that hold down two sections of floor down that I removed just to make sure someone didn't ziptie the cable to other wires before pulling it out.
    Verify the routing of the new cable before you hook it up to the rudder for clearance and that it goes over/under things you want in case you don't use the string method from the very back of the boat. (I just used it to get the first 90 deg bend from the console).

They should provide a zerk fitting on the support bar to lube the end of the cable but there isn't enough clearance to fit one in. I fill that tube up with grease from the rudder end the best I can and then push the rubber cap over it.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Do you remember the part number and or price for the cable and helm kit? I have an 86 sunsport and am having trouble finding one for that boat. I have heard the kit from skidm is just kind of a generic multi application one.

They are all like that. Have to match the helm to the one you have and the cable will have a length on it to match up.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

Default Steering cable help

Go on eBay and look up teleflex rotary cable and helm . They are 150 shipped and mine works like I'm not even turning the boat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Maybe I need a new helm. My turns great to the right but have to muscle it left. I figured it had to do with the spin of the prop

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady