Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1990 Sunsport New Swim Platform

I've had the boat for a couple of years but quickly realized it has to be on of the hardest boats I've ever gotten into from the water. The platform is not very large however the transom angle make it that much worse. You loose roughly 6" of the already small platform. So on to my quest for a bigger platform.

I looked at differnt types, building a new glass deck vs wood vs using one of those rope ladders for a PWC. I decided to build a wooden deck. I've always loved the look of wooden/Teak platforms. I started taking measurements and getting prices on Teak. WOW, stuff is super expensive. I searched the forums, both here and wakeworld and found a guy who was using African Mahogany. Its a little soft but thought what the heck, its 1/3 the cost of Teak or IPE.

Here are some pictures of the platform so far. Its turning out pretty good. I'll get some more when its finished up and on the boat.

Its 27.5" in depth vs the 19 of the old platform and makes a big different in surface area. Not sure if it is going to affect the wake at all but we shall see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yjwrangler95; 05-21-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Here are some more pictures. I need to rip some traction lines and oil it as well as lengthen the brackets.

I went with these dimensions for mine:

But my goal was to not have it adversely affect my surf wave...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I read through your thread on your platform, looks great. Here is a better picture ofwhat it looks like as far as shape. Hopefully I can get this done this weekend and try it out.

Well, if it ends up disrupting any of your wake, then it'd be pretty easy to trim off some of the corner area and make it more trapazoid. but if you're not heavy into surfing, it probably will be fine.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

what do you use your boat for primarily?
    Function before fashion!

We ski, skate, wakeboard and surf a little.

Where did you find the African mahogany? Just a local lumber yard ?

I ordered mine online from Home Depot. There are quite a few exotic wood "outlets" online but I just ordered it from HD. They shipped it directly to my home UPS, took about 4 days. Its nice looking wood but a little soft. I'm happy with how it turned out.

First coat of oil.

What size did you order and how much did you end up needing for the platform?