Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat audio question

Last year I put in a new head unit and 4 new kicker 6" speakers, 50 watts RMS Each. They certinaly sound much better than my factory tape deck and speakers, lol. This year I want to put in an amplifier to help boost performance, and possibly a subwoofer. The question I have is; do I need a more powerful alternator at some point? should I get a 5 channel or a 4 and a seperate 1 for the sub woofer? I know a little about audio, but not a ton.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

The question I have is; do I need a more powerful alternator at some point
    You are aways from needing to think about an alternator upgrade in regards to your current one's stated amperage. Now, if its not performing to its potential due to age/engine hours, then thats a different scenario. A couple of amps and a 2nd battery do not warrant a high amp alt upgrade.

should I get a 5 channel or a 4 and a separate 1 for the sub woofer?
    There are quite a few proven Class-D 5 and 6 chnl amps out there that are ideal for 4-6 in-boats and a sub, that will deliver from 200W rms to 600W rms on the sub chnl. I would let your sub choice dictate whether you need a 4 chnl for the full-range speakers and a dedicated mono for the sub.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Can you recommend a reasonably priced 4 and 5 channel amp? I am looking at a kicker 10" marine sub that handles 150 watts RMS / 300 peak.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

I did a 5 channel kicker in my supra last year. Kicker cx600.5. Kicker rates all their amps lower then they actually produce. Think the kind I installed bench tested at 750. Haven't had a problem and it sounds great. I'm running a pioneer deck with 4 6.5" and a 10" sub and a ton of LEDs. Never had a problem with killing batteries. I also am running two batteries off a perko switch.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

mabbore,

I can recommend an amp or two that are well built solid units for the price, but I will let you be the judge of whether or not the price is reasonable.

Kicker KXM800.5 marine 5 chnl amp is a perfect match for the 4 in-boats and sub, and allow for a 3rd pair of in-boats to be added later.

A single stereo RCA is all thats needed to drive all chnls and sub. Some amps do not pass through internally, so they will require splitting the RCA's and plugging into all the RCA inputs.

Class-D marine w/gasketed controls cover.

Includes sub level controller.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Thanks for all your help. one more question. should I use marine speaker wire? is there a certain gauge or brand I should use?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

I ended up picking up a Clearance Sony 4 channel to drive my newer kicker 6.5"s speakers. I am getting ready for the summer and was wondering if I needed marine grade speaker wire and RCA cables?

Thanks in advance guys
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

Not needed for a fresh water trailer boat.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    Not needed for a fresh water trailer boat.
    Thanks Mike!
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

For a budget setup, I put this one in my boat last year :
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-PN5.640D.html
    It's more than enough to get good sound in and out of the boat. With the 4x Boss MR695 I have on the tower, 4x Boss MR650 Inside the boat (so it's 2 Ohms loaded speakers on the amp on the 4th channels) and a MTX RT12-04 subwoofer.
    Believe me, it rocks ! We can hear sound far away from the boat. And doesn't draw tons of amps on the alternator. So much less than my previous setup with class A/B amps for the same power.

Chears
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare