Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First trip to USA !

Hello guys !
    My girlfriend and I are coming to the USA for holidays !
    We will land at San Francisco on July 26th, we will take off at Los Angeles on August 9th.
    We plan to visit SF for 1 week or more, and have to visit my GF's friend at LA before leaving.

Any recomendation places to visit ?
    I've already those notes :

Square Alamo parc

Us101 road to go from SF to LA

Maybe Beverly Hills/Malibu in LA

And if one of you go boating in CA lakes for holidays, it can be fun to meet !?

Cheers
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

First of all, welcome to the country, and have fun!

As for places to visit, when I've been in that area I went down to Fisherman's Warf area in SF, also did the Alcatraz Prison tour. There's wine country out that way as well if you're into that. If you have a day to head to Lake Tahoe, that's a pretty incredible place. As for the southern portion, there's always Disneyland and the other parks, or Hollywood as well. Haven't been out that way much, so just some things to think about that may not be something you'd normally think of.

Have fun!
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Thanks Mike for your recommendations, I keep it in mind for my trip
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Hey guys, my trip to USA is coming fast ! We plan to visit lake Tahoe, anyone from the forum will be there for holidays ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Hi everyone !
    So, it's been 2 weeks now I'm back from the USA. I have to say I'm loving your country ! Everything is different that in France. I would love to live there. That's maybe a projet in 1 year or so !?

We landed in San Francisco. What a curious city, how did they build houses and Streets on 45° hills ??!! That was crazy. Anyway, no US car or restaurants there, I was a little bit desapointed about that. It's a cosmopolite city, I was curious about what really is the american style and life !

And I was more than happy with the rest of our trip : South Lake Tahoe (20 times bigger than our French biggest lake !!!), twin lakes, Mono lake, Yosemite park, and finally Rancho Cucamonga close to LA where our friends live. I loved food (I probably took 2-3Kg in my 2 weeks holidays), Wood construction is very uncommon here but so stylish ! I have never seen so rescpectful people on the road, here traffic is crazy. Weather was exept in SF, where it's cold and windy. We'll come back for sure !

Now we really think about buying a house and living in USA.

Our dream is to buy or build a house with a private dock, buying a Supra (mine will stay in France), maybe a Mariah or Sunsport, still an old boat for sure, with an open bow

As we would like to stay "close" to our friends (LA), can you guys tell me where is it good to live with a lake (private or not) or a river in a 1000 miles range arround LA ??? (California, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona ...)
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Hi everyone !

As we would like to stay "close" to our friends (LA), can you guys tell me where is it good to live with a lake (private or not) or a river in a 1000 miles range arround LA ??? (California, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona ...)

Lots and lots of places to live on lakes 1000 miles from LA. In Idaho, Priest Lake comes to mind. Arizona... there's Havasu, but you'll likely want to be more up the river, and I'm not sure you can build there. Colorado is always in a drought, but there's some mountain lakes that would be fun, you'd just have a very short season since it gets cold so quick up there. Id probably look in the Pacific northwest. Somewhere in Oregon or Washington State. Utah has lake powell, which is incredible in and of itself, but you don't build on that lake. Nevada won't have any water left in another couple years, but there's lake Mead outside of Vegas.

Glad you enjoyed your time here!
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Thank you Mike, that's a good starting point for our search
    I will also need to improve my English ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Colorado is in anything but a drought, hasn't been for a few years. Atleast where i live. But the weather is extremes. I think it all depends on your work. That will probably dictate where you move.
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Hi everyone !
    So, it's been 2 weeks now I'm back from the USA. I have to say I'm loving your country ! Everything is different that in France. I would love to live there.
    Now we really think about buying a house and living in USA.
    Bonjour mon ami! I work for a French company here in the states, Dassault Falcon Jet, and hear that a lot from the French employees, VIEs, and interns! Hope you can visit/stay often!

Thanks Wrenhaven.
    Hope too, I plan to visit east cost next year.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare