Default Shaft log hose replacement

Hi guys,

Was looking over the boat trying to make sure I get everything ready for a trip later this summer. Will be going camping and have the boat on the water for a week. How often is it recommended to replace the shaft log hose? I assume if it goes, it will sink the boat really quickly. Boat is a 2001 and I assume the hose is original.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2001Sunsport View Post
    Hi guys,

Was looking over the boat trying to make sure I get everything ready for a trip later this summer. Will be going camping and have the boat on the water for a week. How often is it recommended to replace the shaft log hose? I assume if it goes, it will sink the boat really quickly. Boat is a 2001 and I assume the hose is original.

Thanks!
    You're right that it would cause a huge rush of water to come in... but mine's original @ 25 years. The hose looks OK but I will probably replace it in the next few years. You could visually inspect it for any cracks, but generally I wouldn't worry. Also, my boat typically sits in the water continuously from April - October, and has almost 1500 hours.

I just replaced mine, I had the shaft out so as it looked original and pretty weathered, I decided to take advantage of the situation and put in a new one. Once I got the old one out, I could tell it would have gone a lot longer, and mine is an '84. Bear in mind, unless you've got the tapered style or spline style at the coupling end, you should replace the coupling if you pull it off. Another note is that it is not recommended to use regular marine exhaust hose but I did because shaft log hose was going to take at least 2 weeks to come in. I'm glad I didn't go for the shaft log hose, as it would have been too thick to work correctly on my boat.

I replaced mine last year because it developed a split. Not good. I think I read somewhere that it's recommended to change them every 10 years.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I read somewhere also that they should be changed every 10 or so. Boat is a 2001 and it looks good from the outside, but who knows. It has 293 hours on it.