Default no sound from speakers

Hey folks,

Charged the batteries (2) and hit the lake for the first time yesterday. Everything working great except no sound from any speakers. Stereo toggle switch lights up when pushed and stereo face turns on and transom remote works but no sound.

2006 224 SSV Gravity Games with all stock components: Kenwood System Q KTS-MP400MR head unit, Kenwood KAC-X542 amp, Polk PA660 Amp. 2 batteries with an off/1/1&2/2 VSR switch (I have tried all settings) and master fuse/break control (push button and lever pops up to totally shut down power) -- sorry don't know the name of that.

Based on previous threads, I have checked all grounds and connections that I can get at w/o channeling my inner contortionist.

I don't see any display on the Kenwood amp (but honestly I have never looked at it before so I don't know if the menu button/display on it worked last year).

Owners manual shows only a 10amp fuse for stereo. I'm guessing it is under the drivers dashboard, but since stereo functions I didn't pull it.

The batteries are 2 year old Diehards. The charger is an older Schumaker that basically only shows the charging amperage so I can't absolutely say the batteries are fully charged but engine starts immediately and restarted a dozen times yesterday with no issue and the volt gauge on dash shows right in the middle (14?) as it always has.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    John
    Lake Cumberland, KY

There should be some sort of indicator light on the amps that will indicate that they are indeed powered up. Some have a single lamp, that me be one color or another indicating normal mode or a protect mode, but it will be lite up none the less. If you see no lights on the amp, its one of two things. No power supply to the amps or no turn-on command from the head-unit. A volt meter will make quick work of where the problem is.

If you removed your batteries or had them disconnected since the last outing that the audio worked, look close for any cables that got missed. This is quite easy to overlook with the number of cables there. I would also trace the amps B+ cable back to its main circuit protection, to see if the fuse is pulled or blown of the breaker is tripped.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Thanks Michael,

I have just crawled into all the nooks and crannys to check all the connections/fuses and then re-checked all settings on the stereo after downloading and reading the manual. No dice. Unfortunately I left my voltmeter at home so will have to pick things up next trip down.

Since your signature indicates you specialize in the audio field, let me ask another question of you if I may... I really want to be able to connect our phones/mp3 players. This stereo's description on Kenwood's website indicates it is "iPod Ready". Manual alludes to using Auxillary Input. I don't see a way to plug anything else into the head unit (front or back) so wondering if you know what I am missing or can recommend a comparable head unit with jack input?

Thanks!
    John

I will need to dig deeper into that head-unit, but most of the time, "Ipod Ready" typically means there is either a cable that has an apple type connector or there is an extra accessory that can be plugged into a specific terminal on the back of the head-unit that has the apple specific connector.

It rare to find a marine head-unit that does not have a set or rear AUX RCA inputs. If they were originally not used, they tend to taped up behind the stereo harness and can be hard to find without opening up the harness. Basically, these are leads that are about 6" long and not jacks right in the chassis of the radio.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

OK, will check that out too. Maybe it's just time to upgrade to a new stereo with accessible jack input and/or Bluetooth!

Ok, here is a link to the head-units manual. I do not see any AUX inputs, front or rear. I also do not see any reference to being Ipod ready. But, there is a CD changer/SAT Tuner?Optional Accessory plug on the back. There may be a proprietary interface that will allow for an AUX RCA or Ipod connectivity. The down side is, how long has this head-unit been discontinued.

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B64-3068-20.pdf
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Roger that! I found the same. It is the kenwood site that says it is "iPod ready" (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nt/KTS-MP400MR), but I also couldn't find reference in manual.

Any suggestions on new head units that will fit that space/connections, give the easy phone/mp3 player connectivity, and not break the bank?

Researching the 2 amps, looks like they both have dual 30 amp fuses that plug in to the back side. I hope to be prepared to solve the problem during our next trip so the lake so I'd like to take the most likely parts with me. Am I correct in assuming that standard 30 amp "thumb-sized" fuses are what these units require?

cheers,
    john